• 56-58: Reading For The Soul

Posted by Marion Abbott, 5 years ago

I started four other books before turning to some old favourites for some much-needed soul comfort.
    Mama's Bank Account - Kathryn Forbes
    A lovely book that tells of a Norwegian family living in San Francisco during the early 1900's. Each chapter tells a different story of the various family members' adventures. The dignity, love and warmth of this book make it a lovely, lovely read. Highly recommended.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever - Barbara Robinson
    I still remember my Grade Four school teacher reading this to my class and I've been hooked ever since! The Herdmans are the worst kids in town and suddenly find themselves playing the 'starring roles' in the local church Christmas Pageant. If you haven't read this, do it! Do it now! It will make you both laugh and cry, and maybe make you reconsider the Christmas story. (Extra highly recommended to those of you that have ever directed/produced a church Christmas show! :P)

Redbird Christmas - Fannie Flagg
    A short novel by Flagg that tells of Oswald Campbell who moves to Florida to live out his life due to his poor health. Once there, he finds himself becoming a part of a very special community and very special miracles begin to happen. Not my favourite Fannie Flagg, but a wonderful Christmas read nonetheless.

Comments on this post:
  • 5 years ago

Marion, every year I pull out my copy of A Prayer for Owen Meany just so that I can read the Christmas pageant chapter -- which is about the most disastrous yet hilarious pageant imaginable, and makes me howl with laughter every time. Thanks for this recommendation. I've put the Christmas pageant book on hold at the local library and I look forward to it. I haven't directed a pageant in a few years, but I still bear the scars, LOL. (In a good way, of course!)

report this

• Marion Abbott

• Top DVD Reviewer

5 years ago

A Prayer For Owen Meany? It's on my list to get. The other great 'pageant chapter' is in one of Stuart McLean books but I'm not sure which one it is - I'll have a look and get back to you - it's hilarious also. :)

report this

• 5 years ago

I love Redbird Christmas - I try to re-read it nearly every Xmas. Thanks for reminding me & I have already added the other 2 to my Wish List. Keep 'em coming!

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: December 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo