Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • Culture clashes, past, present and future

Posted by Claire Humphrey, 4 years ago

I can't believe how quickly the year draws to a close, and I still haven't caught up with my list! Here's the next instalment.

84. Affinity by Sarah Waters: I adore everything I read of Waters. Atmospheric, Gothic, and haunting: a Lady Visitor, spending charity time in a women's prison, falls in love with one of the prisoners.

85. Kindred by Octavia Butler. This book is a classic of speculative fiction. Butler uses the speculative element to speak movingly and powerfully about the influence of the past on the present. Dana and Kevin, an inter-racial couple from the twentieth century, find themselves transported back in time to visit Dana's ancestors, a plantation owner and one of his slaves. Dana has to save the lives of her ancestors in order to save her own life, and in the process discovers just how damaging is the legacy of slavery.

86. Carnival by Elizabeth Bear: more strong science fiction, dealing with culture clashes between several different utopian societies, none of which have turned out the way their founders imagined.

87. Tamburlaine Must Die by Louise Welch: short but fascinating murder mystery starring Christopher Marlowe.

Comments on this post:
> Read more posts from: December 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo