Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • I'm having surgery in the am, so i thought it'd be a good time to catch up!

Posted by Virginia, 4 years ago

129 A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer
    I've had this sitting on my shelf for a while, but never got around to reading it. My step-sister asked for it for Christmas, so i read it quick before i sent it to her:P I am amazed that someone could come out of that situation relatively ok, and horrified that someone could inflict such trauma, or allow such trauma to be inflicted, on someone they *should* love most.... i used to really like this kind of book, for the "overcoming" parts, but i'm not sure i do anymore....

130 Silent Night by Stanley Weintraub
    A non-fiction account of the Christmas Truce the first Christmas of WWI. I've long been intrigued by this incident, and i learned quite a bit from this book:) A little military jargon-y for me at parts, but all in all good:)

131 The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder
    I really really like Gaarder's work, and this was a quick, enjoyable, peaceful story that also taught me some history in a neat way:) I think that's what i like most about him- he teaches a lot, but is never boring:P

132 Adrian Mole The Wilderness Years by Sue Townsend
    I'd been curious about this series for a while, and this one got good reviews form my aunts, so i borrowed. Unfortunately, i was very disappointed. I understand this starts when Adrian is 15, and his character might've been ok at that age, but at 24, it's frustrating, grating, immature.... i think this is the only book i've finished that i've rated 1 star here:(

133 The Indian Trilogy By Lynne Reid Banks (Indian in the Cupboard, The Return of the Indian and The Secret of the Secret of the Indian)
    I enjoyed these as a kid, and i'm happy to say i enjoyed them jsut as much as an adult:) I was a little concerned about racism or prejudice, but in fact they offer the exact opposite in many cases:) Yay for kids' books living up to their memories;)

134 And my Shoes Keep Walking Back to You by Kathi Kamen Goldmark
    A n easy read with some heft to it:) there were a few parts toward the end when I had to willingly suspend my disbelief, but that was ok for this:P i fun ride i'd recommend to anyone:)

135 A Field Guide to getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit
    (i have to confess, i still have 10 pages to read:P) I borrowed this from my brother on his recommendation. For the most part, i really don't like it. I find her flighty, wiht awkward transitions, and self-centred and condescending. Even in the parts i liked overall, i was often frowning or furrowing my brow. I like her recounting people's stories and experiences, or histories of areas or things, but i can't stand her "philosophizing".

Comments on this post:
  • Kay

4 years ago

Hope all goes well, Virginia. Look forward to your posts in 2010.

report this

• Lady Ethereal Butterfly

• Top List Publisher
    • Most Popular

4 years ago

I'm sure all will go well with your surgery. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!

report this

• 4 years ago

thanks ladies:) Surgery went well, now jsut to recover:P At least i'm well stocked with books to keep me occupied;)

report this

• Lady Ethereal Butterfly

• Top List Publisher
    • Most Popular

4 years ago

I'm glad to hear that! It's nice when surgery is over because then you can just focus on healing and feeling better without having the stress and anxiety of an upcoming surgery. Now you can lay back with a good book and let other people do all the hard work until you're all better. Have a great Christmas Virginia!

report this

• 4 years ago

Thanks for the Weintraub & Gaardner suggestions - wanted some more holiday reads! Unfortunately, I'll probably have to count them in 2010...This has been the best "group" that I have ever joined. Best wishes for a healthy & happy holiday season to each & everyone in this 'group'.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: December 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo