• 1 person found this helpful

Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (Toronto made movie??Fabulous!)

Posted by Mary Ellen Anaka, 5 years ago

Aminata Diallo, an eleven year old child, is taken from her village in Africa. She is chained with others,also taken from their homes. She is sold into slavery and after months at sea, arrive in America. She is put to work in an Indigo Plantation. Aminata was taught midwifery by her mother. She practiced these skills in South Carolina, learns how to read, write, how to speak English and other languages. Chekura, another slave that came across the ocean with her becomes her husband. She has a child with him. This child is sold by her master and she is sold again. She does not know what happened to her child or her husband. Aminata, helps the British with the historic Book of Negroes. She signs up 3000 Black Loyalists to freedom in Nova Scotia Canada. Her husband finds her again, he leaves Nova Scotia before her. She is pregnant again.
    Things don't work out in Nova Scotia. Her second child is taken It is a very well written book. Although it is fiction some of the events are true. Aminata is a strong female character. I give this book a 5/5

• Book of Negroes

Posted by ♥ShyAngel, 5 years ago

This movie has no release date/year yet, but apparently this is being done a Toronto-based film company.

I have never read the book before, but have it sitting on my shelf....
    It's a "Heather's Pick" and is supposed to be really good.

Have any of you read this book? What did u think of it?
    Does it have a sad ending?

• Eat, Pray, Love

Author: Elizabeth Gilbert
    Starring: Billy Crudup, James Franco, Julia Roberts
    Release Date: 2011

==========

A lot of non-fiction books are being adapted into movies!
    Never read the book, but heard good things about it (not to mention that it was on the best seller list for the longest time).
    The only reason I knew this was being filmed was when I saw a pic of James and Julia in "OK! Weekly" mag stating that fact.
    (See? Gossip mags are informative! LoL)

So, what do you guys think of this being translated into film?

• Lovely Bones

Author: Alice Sebold
    Starring:Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Susan Sarandon

===============================================

Kind of excited about this one, only because Peter Jackson is directing this! He has done some great things. ie. Lord of the Rings, so I hope that he applies his amazing skills to this movie too!

The trailer makes it seem like it will be better than the book!
    After watching it, I'm really really excited :)

• Official Trailer

• I Know It Came Out Ages Ago But...

Posted by emerson entwistle, 5 years ago

Has anyone else Secret Life of Bees? Personally I loved it...and it has made me want to read the book - which I'm still trying to get around too. I also don't really like Dakota Fanning, but she redeemed herself a little bit with this movie. And Jennifer Hudson was great.

I really liked this movie and if it goes by the rule (books are better than the movie) than I cannot wait to read it.

In another movie-to-book based in the South, I recommend Fried Green Tomatoes. It is one of my top 5 favorite movies, it really is good and I was up all night reading the book which was also great and just charming.

• Julie & Julia

Meryl Streep seems to suit the part :)
    I laughed a couple of times as I watched the trailer (see below)

Here is a review of the movie @ www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20296109,00.html (they gave a B+ for this movie!)

So, has anyone see this movie or read any of the books??

This trailer kind of makes me want to buy the book :p
    It seems Julia Child has an interesting life ~

> Read more posts from: July 2009 or September 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo