• Fix for Kobo not syncing

Posted by Devon Veldhuis, 4 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just spent a whole day frustrated with a Kobo which contained the preinstalled books, but any time I tried to sync it (with the Kobo Desktop Application or ADE, Windows or Mac), it would say it would sync, but any new books would never show up.

After calling customer service, they were essentially useless, told me to factory reset, and that they would get back to me in a few days.

Anyways, I found the thread for Koboko and working with the database, and found the database file (KoboReader.sqlite) was corrupt.

The solution to this is:

(NOTE:
    1. This involves altering files on the Kobo which may screw your Kobo up, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    2. This deleted all of the preinstalled books, so beware. If anyone knows an easy way of getting those back, please let me know.
    :NOTE)

1. Open the mounted Kobo drive, and open the .kobo folder
    2. Try opening the KoboReader.sqlite file with a sqlite editor (I used SQLite Expert) (File is hidden, so make sure you have "Show hidden files and folders" on)
    3. If it says the file was corrupt, then continue. If not, then this guide is not for you
    4. In the kobo drive, change the filename of KoboReader.sqlite to something different (I used "KoboReader.sqlite.old").
    5. Eject the Kobo, and do a factory reset through the settings. This will make a new KoboReader.sqlite database file that will work fine
    6. Try syncing now, it should work!!

Hopefully this will save at least one person some frustration, if anyone knows of a better/easier way of doing this, feel free to say so.

Comments on this post:
  • 4 years ago

Appreciate the suggestions, but really don't want to have to delete the preinstalled books ... :-(

report this

• 4 years ago

I know, but for us it was the only solution. It was a little time consuming, but you can view the list of free books, and they are all available through the kobo store, so you can redownload all of them, and sync them to you now functioning device.

report this

• 3 years ago

The database can be repaired using the sqlite3 program (http://www.sqlite.org/download.html) and a Linux, Mac, or Windows command-line (the procedure below works for all three).
    Copy the corrupted KoboReader.sqlite database to your harddrive.
    Open a command-line terminal and go to the directory containing the copy of the corrupted file.
    Issue the following two commands:
    echo .dump | sqlite3 KoboReader.sqlite > KoboReader.dump.txt
    sqlite3 -init KoboReader.dump.txt KoboReader.fixed.sqlite
    then type .quit to exit the sqlite3 program.
    This creates a new database file using the contents of the old one.
    Overwrite the corrupted KoboReader.sqlite file on your Kobo with the KoboReader.fixed.sqlite file, then resync your Kobo.

report this

• 3 years ago

Tim, thank you! I've been having recurring database corruptions for ages. I've reset my Kobo to factory settings a couple of times, tried and failed to restore the SQLite database by other means, but this is the first fix that has allowed me to keep all my data -- and so easy!

You can avoid having to type ".quit" by modifying the second line:

echo .dump | sqlite3 KoboReader.sqlite > KoboReader.dump.txt
    echo .quit | sqlite3 -init KoboReader.dump.txt KoboReader.fixed.sqlite

This makes it possible to put the whole thing in a shell script/batch file. In fact, I went ahead and created a Google Code project for this:
    http://code.google.com/p/kobo-restore/
    Overkill? perhaps. But it works.

report this

• Cancel   

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo