• Public Libraries and Kobo

Posted by Brittany Lemenchick, 4 years ago

Just wondering how compatible the Kobo is with public libraries? I want to be able to download and borrow library books for my Kobo, is this possible??

Comments on this post:
  • eBooks Editor

• Editor
    • Indigo Employee

4 years ago

That's a great question, Brittany. I don't know the answer but I'll see if I can find out!

report this

• M

4 years ago

Good point! I'd be really interested to find out too!

report this

• 4 years ago

Right now our library system allows you to download to the Sony E-reader or the Nook. I know that they will be testing the Kobo. However, since the Sony and Nook both use E-Pub, I think it will be possible.

report this

• 4 years ago

I would be interested in this as well. I know I can't download to my iPod - being able to download to the Kobo would be a great advantage.

report this

• eBooks Editor

• Editor
    • Indigo Employee

4 years ago

If your library offers ebooks as epub files, then you can absolutely read them on your Kobo.

report this

• eBooks Editor

• Editor
    • Indigo Employee

4 years ago

I also just received confirmation that PDF file formats are okay too.

report this

• 4 years ago

Our library offers ebooks through Overdrive in the EPUB format, but they are protected with DRM. I have read recently that the iPad will not support the DRM protected EPUB files. Will the Kobo allow the EPUB format from Overdive, in other words, the DRM protected files?

report this

• 4 years ago

I work for a public library in Ontario. We will be using Net Library for our eBooks. Since Net Library uses PDF format, we should be good to go! OverDrive (we use this system for their eAudiobooks) doesn't have Kobo listed on it's compatibility list yet (http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/compatibleebookdevices.aspx), but the Kobo comparison list (http://www.koboereader.com/comparisons.html) does say that Adobe DMR files are compatible. It sounds to me like OverDrive eBooks will be compatible with Kobo!

report this

• 4 years ago

I feel kinda silly but what does DRM protected mean? Our library system (BC) also speaks of DRM protected E-Pub.

report this

• 4 years ago

DRM = digital rights management. The file is usually encrypted to "self-destruct" or no longer become available for viewing/playing on your device. Libraries use them in order to control the loan period on your eBook or eAudiobook. That's why you don't have to "return" your eBook/ eAudiobook. They just no longer work on your device. But no worries! It isn't in any way harmful!

report this

• M

4 years ago

OK so a new question but same thread: If you buy a book from the Kobo site, does it have a DRM attached to it as well? I'm thinking along the lines of why I would never buy a Kindle. In the states there was a book (can't remember what) that was mass deleted from all Kindles because the rights fell through or something... 1980 I think, or at least Orwell. Will the Kobo book site have such capabilities?

report this

• 4 years ago

No, M, once you have bought a book, it is yours. It's libraries that use DRM.

report this

• M

4 years ago

Thanks Penny! One more point for the Kobo!

report this

• 4 years ago

You can use a Kobo-purchased book on a number of devices, but not on the Kindle. Amazon only allows amazon product to be used on Kindle (though I suspect they'll change that at some point.)

The Kobo eReader isn't connected to the internet at all times, so I don't see how they could delete a book, as happened with amazon.

report this

• 4 years ago

But I should add--it's not accurate to say that a Kobo book doesn't use DRM. At this moment you will NOT be able to share your books with other people. The company thinks this will eventually disappear, as it did with iTunes, but at the moment--it IS DRM.

So yes you can use it on a number of devices, but only on your devices.

report this

• 4 years ago

It's DRM in the sense that you cannot share BUT the book won't disappear from your device, either - unless it's a library book, right?

report this

• 4 years ago

:-) Indeed.

report this

• 4 years ago

Just to clarify Libraries only have DRM on their files because that is how the vendors sell it to them.

The vendors sell it that way because the publishers insist they sell it that way.

The DRM restrictions are extremely frustrating for libraries as well. Really gets in the way of a good customer experience.

report this

• 4 years ago

Our library system acquired a Kobo eReader to test OverDrive compatibiity. We are happy to report that it will download and display EPUB and PDF titles. You authorize the device in Adobe Digital Editions like you would a Sony eReader and drag and drop titles. Did, however, notice that EPUB titles get filed away in the Books section of the Kobo, whereas the PDF titles get filed into Documents.

Very exciting! This is a great looking device!

report this

• 4 years ago

Thanks Stephanie. I'll have to give it a try. When I checked on Digital Devices in our Library System the Kobo still wasn't there. I wrote and received a reply from OverDrive to the effect that they hadn't yet checked the Kobo but would be doing so in the future.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: April 2010

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo