Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • ADE Software & Kobo Desktop App

Posted by Sequoia, 4 years ago

Question for those of you who have already received your Kobo eReader and haven't had any problems with it.

How are you getting eBooks onto the reader? Do you use ADE or are you strictly using the Kobo desktop App? I already have ADE downloaded on my desktop, but when I get my Kobo, I'm not entirely sure how to get the books I've already purchased onto the reader. And since I already have ADE if I'm supposed to just use the Kobo desktop app, can I transfer my books from ADE over to the Kobo app?

I've read many reviews of people who have have had issues getting books they've already purchased onto the reader and just don't want to end up in that group.

Thanks everyone!

Comments on this post:
  • 4 years ago

I used the Kobo desktop thingie to buy a book from Chapters and then put it into the Kobo.

I used ADE to add DRM'd books I already owned. (You have to "authorize" your computer, as well as your Kobo.)

I have also been using Calibre to convert non-DRM PDF documents and PDF eBooks to ePub format and then just dragging-and-dropping onto the Kobo root directory. (In the reviews section on the main Chapters Kobo site there are instructions on how to fix the converted files so that the print will scale properly.)

report this

• Sao

4 years ago

I *love* my Kobo, but I am a little disappointed with the desktop app. It appears to only sync the files that are in your Kobobooks library onto the device. The app doesn't recognize the 100 free books that are on the Kobo, or any of the other books I've placed on it. I know they're working on fixes, and I hope the desktop ap is one of those.

I've had success transferring non-DRM books to the Kobo by just dragging them over to the device, which will show up as another drive. I've also used Calibre to save books onto it (using the "save to disk" option since Calibre doesn't yet recognize the Kobo as an ereading device.)

report this

• Sao

4 years ago

Using ADE is actually very easy. Plug it into the computer first, then launch ADE. It will prompt you to register the device. After registration, Kobo will show up as another bookshelf in ADE (you may have to close, then restart the program. I can't remember now.) Then all you do is drag and drop your book to the Kobo to save the book onto your device.

report this

• 4 years ago

Thanks for the comments so far you guys...another question though, and I might be completely tech illiterate, but I don't fully understand what it means when you say "sync the files"...I read on another site, someone told another Kobo user not to "sync the reader with the desktop app".

One thing I'm worried about is losing the cover art on the books, which seems to have been an issue for a lot of people...that's why I'm trying to figure out exactly how to put my books on it before it arrives next week.

Again, thank you for your help.

report this

• Sao

4 years ago

Sync is short for synchronize, so when you sync your device using the desktop app you're updating them so that they are the same in both places.

From what I've heard (can't remember now if it was in some replies here or on the Kobo twitter feed) the cover issue is due to the fact that often the publishers deliver epub files to them without the cover art. Kobo will put up a cover on their site for the book, but the original epub they were given never had the cover to begin.

report this

• 4 years ago

I just plug in the KOBO to my computer. I t shows up as another drive. I just cut and paste ePub files right into the KOBO. The program that comes with the reader is useless. I can't wait for a software update so I can eliminate the 100 free books. I'd also like to delete books without having to link to my computer. I also hope they get a wall charger soon. Charging through the USB port on the computer is a waste of electricity.

report this

• Sao

4 years ago

My husband's Blackberry uses the same cables, so I can wall charge my Kobo using his Blackberry cable (I can also use his car charger.) I'm sure you can find a standard USB charger that will fit the device at a computer store or at Future Shop/Best Buy.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: May 2010

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo