• Broken kobo screen

Posted by Laura Blew, 3 years ago

The screen on my Kobo is broken. Not sure how it happened, must have taken a knock within a bag.

What do I do to repair it?
    How do purchases on this Kobo get kept if the cost of repair is beyond the cost of a new ebook?

Comments on this post:
  • 3 years ago

I got a Kobo for Christmas and one of my kids dropped my Kobo and the screen cracked. I called Kobo customer service, they sent me a box to return my Kobo to them and they sent me a new one by courier. Great service I had my new Kobo in less then two weeks. Call them.

report this

• AlbertaJenn

• Coles Employee

3 years ago

If you purchased it at a store, return it there. There is a warranty on it, and they can to an exchange there.

report this

• 3 years ago

I had my kobo screen break without me even knowing what happened. I returned it to my local Chapters with no receipt and they gave me a new one with no hassles and no questions asked. The best customer service I've had in a long time! Love my Kobo!

report this

• 3 years ago

I just got back from vacation without any incidents, however, I inadvertently knocked my Kobo in it's cover with my elbow (without much pressure) and the screen is toast.
    After reading these posts, I've advised the person who gave it to me for Christmas and am crossing my fingers that my return experience is as good as all of yours were.

report this

• 3 years ago

I had exact same problem took Kobo back to Chapters today (Halifax) and they told me I have to deal directly with Kobo. It is unfortunate that these are such weak screens. Mine was in the Roots padded sleeve that I bought to protect it. You would think that these would last at least a year as I am an adult who was very gentle with it and it got ruined, how would a young person keep from destroying one? Anyway...wish me luck calling Kobo on Monday as it is expensive to start , the kobo and sleeve were $200.00.

report this

• 3 years ago

So far so good. Contacted Kobo and they are shipping a box for the Kobo to be sent back to them. They were very helpful and easy to deal with on the phone. I'll let you know what happens from here.

report this

• AlbertaJenn

• Coles Employee

3 years ago

I'm glad that things went so well for you, Charlane. I haven't been on the site recently, otherwise I would have told you to go ahead and take your Kobo in to the Chapters and ask for the managers. We (employees of Indigo) can do exchanges on defective/damaged Kobos. I have only done 2 since we started selling them last year.

Hope the exchange process is speedy for you! :-)

report this

• 3 years ago

Actually Jenn I took my kobo into Chapters , spoke with a manager who told us to call kobo - Chapters wasn't much help even though we had original box, receipt etc all with it.

The good news is that after sending my kobo back in the box they sent me, yesterday I received a new one in the mail. There was no charge for anything. Very happy with KOBO on this. They were great to deal with.

report this

• AlbertaJenn

• Coles Employee

3 years ago

Oh, good! I'm so glad that everything ended well for you, Charlane.

report this

• 2 years ago

StaceyM - went to use my KOBO reader this morning and the screen is mess, can this be fixed, lines running all over the place, up down, side to side, way out of its warranty, I bought it December 2010, but still, shouldn`t been in this shape for not even two years old ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS ON HOW I CAN FIX THIS

report this

• 2 years ago

Stacey - I'm currently experiencing the same issues. Did you ever get an answer or reply? Kobo wasn't helpful whatsoever and refuse to say anything even though they already admitted it was a known issue. I didn't drop knock or do anything to my kobo for this to happen, all I did was turn it on. Coles staff tried to be helpful but they were unable to do anything, all they said was hopefully Kobo will get back to you.

report this

• 2 years ago

I let my Kobo fall and ended with a nasty crack...I guess I should have told Kobo I didn't know what happened but I couldn't even pay them to fix it. Thought I would try a windshield repair place....Anyone have any ideas of how I can replace the glass

report this

• 2 years ago

i have had my kobo for some time now, and recently i must have dropped it because when i had tried to open it the screen stayed blank, minus an odd strip of gray at the top of the screen. i am constantly hearing that craked screens are not covered by the warranty, although i am quite certain my warranty has run dry, so now the question is, what can i do

report this

• 2 years ago

Hi, i bought my Kobo from future shop and today when i went to use it all the screen came on except the bottom left quarter, the cover of the book stayed on it kinda and went all liney........it seems that indigo is very good about their returns....what about future shop? does anyone know?

report this

• 2 years ago

I bought a kobo for my wife for Christmas in 2010. A year and half later, the screen got distorted and unreadable. She took great care with it, made many online purchases and loved this product. After attenoting to reset the device through Customer support, they basically said a year and half is a long time to have a kobo and suggested my wife buy a new one. My wife was an advocate for Kobo, recommending them to all her friends. She has now returned to her favorite used book store and will not consider an e -reader again. So much for progress, or customer service for that matter!

report this

• 17 months ago

I bought my second Kobo two weeks ago after having the first one break on me in December 2012. After accidentally having it flex in my front coat pocket while tying my shoes, my kobo glo broke today. I have called both Indigo (Eaton Centre, Toronto) and Kobo and was told that I was out of luck, after dropping 300$ on two broken machines. The most frustrating part is that I can clearly see cases of other people getting their kobo replaced free of charge, and considering I've only had this one for 2 weeks I feel taken advantage of.

For a product that should be portable , to have it break so easily is basically robbery.

report this

• 16 months ago

In our family we have two defective Kobo machines ~ first one was a gift and the electronic ink screen became defective so it was replaced in early 2012 ~ the next one was refurbished & it became defective in Aug 2013 ~ another exchange (refurbished) unit was sent out
    This unit is displaying same problems but now Kobo will not fix it
    That's 3 units with defective display and Kobo advised that it's too costly to repair ~ well isn't that wonderful. And the World wants to become more Green ~ not with all this electronic junk in the trash
    So here goes another Kobo in the garbage for a simple screen repair
    They say Kobo looks after repairs ~ I do't think so these units are made to be thrown away ~ all are scrapped

report this

• 5 days ago

Does anyone know where the screen can be replaced? The warranty does not cover breakage caused by accident and kobo will not repair it. I've tried a few local repair shops and have been told they can not replace the screen.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: March 2011

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo