Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • Hunger Games Quotes!!

Posted by Midnight Sunrise, 5 years ago

I was rereading The Hunger Games and found a whole bunch of quotes I love.
    By the way, these may contain some spoilers if you have not read the book. But if this is the case, you should go out to a store right now and pick it up; you will not regret it. :)

We're going to be thrown into an arena to fight to the death. Exactly how am I supposed to work in a thank-you in there? Somehow it just won't seem sincere if I'm trying to slit his throat. (32)

Effie: "How odd you two find it amusing. You know your mentor is your lifeline to the world in these Games. The one who advises you, lines up your sponsors and dictates the presentation of any gifts. Haymitch can well be the difference between your life and death!"
    Just then, Haymitch staggers into the compartment. "I miss supper?" he says in a slurred voice. Then he vomits all over the expensive carpet and falls in the mess.
    "So laugh away!" says Effie Trinket. (46)

All of the pieces are still fitting together, but I sense he has a plan forming. He hasn't accepted his death. He is already fighting hard to stay alive. Which also means that kind Peeta Mellark, the boy who gave me the bread, is fighting hard to kill me. (68)

Peeta: I asked Cinna why they let us up here. Weren't they worried that some of the tributes might decide to jump right over the side?
    Katniss: What'd he say?
    Peeta: You can't. Some kind of electric field throws you back on the roof.
    Katniss: Always worried about our safety. (81)

Effie: Just remember, Katniss, you want the audience to like you.
    Katniss: And you don’t think they will?
    Effie: Not if you glare at them the entire time. Why don’t you save that for the arena? Instead, think of yourself among friends.
    Katniss: They’re betting on how long I’ll live! They’re not my friends!
    Effie: Well, try and pretend! See, like this. I’m smiling at you even though you’re aggravating me.
    Katniss: Yes, it feels very convincing. (115)

The arenas are historic sites, preserved after the Games. Popular destinations for Capitol residents to visit, to vacation. Go for a month, rewatch the Games, tour the catacombs, visit the sites where the deaths took place. You can even take part in reenactments.
    They say the food is excellent. (144)

Rue, who when you ask her what she loves most in the world, replies, of all things, “Music.” (211)

Katniss: I guess all those hours decorating cakes paid off.
    Peeta: Yes, frosting. The final defence of the dying. (252)

Katniss: Peeta, you said at the interview you’d had a crush on me forever. When did forever start?
    Peeta: Oh, let’s see. I guess the first day of school. We were five. You had on a red plaid dress and your hair…it was in two braids instead of one. My father pointed you out when we were waiting to line up.
    Katniss: Your father? Why?
    Peeta: He said, ‘See that little girl? I wanted to marry her mother, but she ran off with a coal miner.’”
    Katniss: What? You’re making that up!
    Peeta: No, true story. And I said, ‘A coal miner? Why did she want a coal miner if she could’ve had you?' And he said, ‘Because when he sings…even the birds stop to listen.’” (300)

Peeta has always had enough to eat. But there’s something kind of depressing about living your life on stale bread, the hard, dry loaves that no one else wanted. One thing about us, since I bring our food home on a daily basis, most of it is so fresh you have to make sure it isn’t going to make a run for it. (310) [I just find this hilarious every time I read it…]

I have about five minutes to eat a bowl of hot grain and stew before the prep team descends. All I have to say is, “The crowd loved you!” and it’s unnecessary to speak for the next couple of hours. (366) [You’d get this if you knew the prep team]

Comments on this post:
  • 5 years ago

i like the second last one. ive never actually read it before, which is odd because ive read that book a few dozen times.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: July 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo