• Rereading HP

Posted by Steph S., 6 years ago

So I'm currently working my way through the series, from start to end, in preparation for the release of HP6 this July (I am SO excited... check out the trailers at www.harrypotter.co.uk if you haven't already... they made me have a major fangirl attack). I just finished Chamber of Secrets this afternoon, and will get started on Prisoner of Azkaban in a day or two. Is anyone else in the midst of rereading? I find that I appreciate the story more at 21 than I did at 12; mostly I think I understand the sheer genius of the plot structure and narrative voice now, and the story is so much better because of it.

• New Books

Posted by Paige Rennick, 6 years ago

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what everyone else was reading these days? I have been reading harry potter forever and just absolutely adore it, but I need some filler books in between potterfests-lol. I've read the Eragon books, and I'm not so into Twilight. Any suggestions on what might be a great new series? Thanks!

• 1 person found this helpful

Refreshing dose of Rowling to staunch the Meyer craze

Posted by Charity, 6 years ago

Golly, I don't think I would have made it the past few months if it weren't for the promise of a new Rowling title coming out. Granted it is not a full Harry Potter story but that little book "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" was a refreshing piece of writing that reminded me that writing for a younger audience doesn't mean you have to dumb down you plot or characters.

"The Tales of Beedle the Bard" is very much like Aesop's fables, only for the wizarding world. Where magic plays a minor role for Cinderella and her peers, these tales show how moralistic tales are changed when magic is everywhere.

Rowling holds her own when tackling the daunting task of classic fables and you get the feeling that these stories really could have been handed down for centuries amongst the wizarding families.

At the same time she allows us to hear the thoughts of Dumbledore as she has made comments regarding each story and its history. These little notes really sound like the character Rowling developed over the course of 7 books and it was heartwarming to hear it again, rather like walking by a wizard's portrait and remembering what made you love them to begin with.

I don't care how popular that "other" series might become. I will be a Rowling fan for years if she continues to write like this.

• Beedle the Bard

Posted by KipseeSox, 6 years ago

Anybody have thoughts on this one yet? I've ordered it but it has not yet arrived....

• The Hunger Game by Suzanne Collins

Posted by Tee Lee, 6 years ago

For fans of Harry Potter who are a mature 11 years or older, I highly recommend this book.
    Katniss must hunt and scrounge to keep her family feed. Her father died in a mining accident and Katniss became the head of her family when her mother couldn't get past her grief.
    The Hunger games involve 24 children between the ages of 12-18 and there are deaths which is why I recommend it for mature 11 year olds and up. The deaths are a little more violent than what you find in described in Harry Potter because it doesn't happen by magic. But no more disturbing than a video game or horror or action movie.
    Who will survive the games and how will they do it? These are the questions that drive the story.
    I found this book to be and easy read (along the lines of Twilight) because it gripped me from the beginning and wouldn't let go.
    Give it a try and let me know what you think.
    A story that both boys and girls can enjoy.

• Movies

Posted by Lady E, 6 years ago

I also just watched the trailer of the newest movie and then was disappointed to see that it will not be released until July of 09. I can't wait. My teenage daughter also loves the movies however, didn't enjoy the last one as much as I did. I believe it is because the characters are growing up and having romantic relationships. I'm hopeing that by next year she'll find that a little more interesting.

We have all the books except the last one but haven't read them yet. I have tried to get my daughter to read them but she's not much into reading. I like the idea of reading them with her, even though she is older, as I want to read them anyway and it will give us something else to share.

• I can't wait for the next movie!!

Posted by Christine Zadera, 6 years ago

I just watched the trailer for "The Half Blood Prince" & I can't wait for it to be in theatres.

> Read more posts from: September 2008

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo