of glory in the flower,
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind;
    In the primal sympathy
    Which having been must ever be;
    In the soothing thoughts that spring
    Out of human suffering;
    In the faith that looks through death,
    In years that bring the philosophic mind.

I recently heard this poem in a movie I was watching called Splendor in the Grass. It was repeated twice in there I think. The first time it didn't relate too well with the characters in the movie, but at the end when it was repeated, it was exactly what the protagonist was feeling about the boy that she wanted to marry but never could: "Though nothing can / bring back the hour / Of splendour in the grass, / of glory in the flower, / We will grieve not, rather find / Strength in what remains behind..." This poem was said after she visits the boy again that she once loved and sees that he has a wife and kid.

• This is one of the times the poem is recited in the film and the actress gives a brief interpretation of the poem-- watch 2 minutes in

Comments on this post:
  • 3 years ago

I like it, and I like that there is a video in which is was recited. Althought the teacher was a meanie :P

report this

• Samia

• Top DVD Reviewer
    • Most Helpful

3 years ago

Yeah, it's like the teacher wanted her to be the person to recite it. Because everyone in the school knew that the girl reciting it, her boyfriend had just cheated on her with the girl that sits in front of her.

report this

• 3 years ago

Oh, well that explains a lot.
    Teachers...sometimes they can be the meanest.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: April 2011

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo