Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • Neal Stephenson

Posted by Frank Furlano, 5 years ago

Neal Stephenson's newest book Anathem

Neal Stephenson is an author I always told myself I was going to read. He is a seminal author, not only for science fiction, but for fiction in general.
    I guess I was always daunted by his work but I have finally taken the leap.
    I have started with his newest book Anathem, and will make my way backwards (I love it so far, as soon as I got past the new "language" barrier by using the provided glossary). People have been telling me to start with Cryptonomicon, but as I am going to have a chance to meet him soon, I think I should read his newest title first.
    Has anyone read Stephenson, and if so what did they think?

Launch of And the Angels Sang

Posted by Unknown User, 6 years ago

And the Angels Sang

-Message Deleted-

• Signings Gallore!

Posted by Jessica Strider, 6 years ago

If anyone's going to be in the Toronto area at the end of Oct/beginning of November the World's Biggest Bookstore is doing some good signings.

We've got Violette Malan, author of 'Mirror Prince', 'Sleeping God' and Soldier King' coming Sunday October 26 at 2pm.

***The Watchmen*** Graphic novel illustrator will be talking about his new book 'Watching the Watchmen' on Sunday November 2, at 2pm.

Maria Snyder, author of 'Poison Study', 'Magic Study' and 'Fire Study' will be in store Friday November 7th (time to be announced).

Come on out and support these artists.

• David Brin appearing in Montreal

Posted by Catherine Palmer-Lister, 6 years ago

David Brin is appearing at Con*Cept, a science fiction and fantasy convention in Montreal, October 18 & 19.

www.conceptsff.ca
    www.davidbrin.com/

Lafferty's Bio... Interesting

Posted by Hollie Sebastian, 6 years ago

Here's the link for Lafferty's bio...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.A._Lafferty

• Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted by Frank Furlano, 6 years ago

I just finished Chapterhouse: Dune, the original conclusion to the Dune saga, and I thought it was fabulous.
    A complex book, with an ambiguous ending but fabulous nonetheless.
    My original plan was to read all of the Dune books in a row (father’s and sons) but I can no longer do that. I took a break between book 2 and 3 of original saga, and I think I need a break between this book and Hunters of Dune.
    Reading the cover of Hunter's of Dune though, it sounds pretty good. It picks up right where Frank left off.
    I know there are a lot of haters out there for the "expanded" Dune universe, for any number of reasons, but I for one will be excited to get into it once I read some other books.

• "Not to Mention Camels" - R.A. Lafferty

Posted by Hollie Sebastian, 6 years ago

Wow... huge ideas in this novel! From "Annals of Klepsis", there are charactors called short-tailed humans who have the ability to 'jump' from planet to planet. He carries that idea over into this novel with some differences. The idea in this one is that when someone dies their being, conciousness, soul, whatever you like to call it, escapes from the body and jumps to other worlds. One of the prominant theories in the novel is that everything, all the planets in all of the universes exist here and now in THIS exact space and simultaniously. The 1st chapter is about a cult figure who is being executed and has been sentenced to 'take nothing with him'. Doctors attempt to freeze parts of his brain to stop his soul from escaping into another time or world. The second chapter is about Pilgrim Dusmano, a rising cult figure who is preaching this idea of next lives to his followers.(suggesting they kill themselves to make the jump-advertising that they could go back to any time in their lives and any scenario they can come up with)
    It is worthy to note that the 3 main characters of the novel each have a powerful friend and a powerful enemy and I am already getting the sneaking suspicion that the 3 are actually the same soul in different lives.
    Lafferty's ideas of the universe are very interesting! Not only does he suggest that everything exists in the same place, but that the # of available souls is finite; about 3billion and that many people are just shadows of these souls or "derivative people" He also suggests that if this is the case, there must be a prime earth and all other earths are a derivative of that!
    This novel will horrify and appall you! How many bloody, unjustified murders can a man get away with? And what will happen to Pilgrim Dusmano for his horrible crimes?

• sandworms of dune

Posted by sabrina pettet, 6 years ago

I've just finished reading this, and was told there is a new book called paul of dune...has anybody read and is it any good?

> Read more posts from: September 2008 or November 2008

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo