• "New" Authors - some different fantasy

Posted by Jessica Strider, 6 years ago

Looking for summer reading beyond the 'traditional'? Here are some great reads that take fantasy conventions and turn them upside down.

Joe Abercrombie's trilogy is finally complete (and available in Canada):
    The Blade Itself, Before they are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings.
    - the ending will blow you away (and likely tick you off, but anything that makes you think is worth reading in my opinion)

Jim Hines: Goblin Quest, Goblin Hero and Goblin War
    - think Lord of the Rings from the goblin's POV. Partly tongue in cheek, the books are a blast.

Andrzej Saplowski - The Last Wish
    - More a group of short stories pulled together by a fram story, this brings together several fairy tales with surprising results.

Moira Moore - Resenting the Hero, The Hero Strikes Back, Heroes Adrift
    - Fun reads, extreme introvert and extreme extrovert are paired for life in a working relationship neither particularly likes - at first. And she's Canadian!

• Star Wars! Expanded Universe

Posted by Frank Furlano, 6 years ago

An awesome image from the upcoming Force Unleased Videogame.

I have been an avid reader of the Star Wars Expanded Universe for a long time now, but I wonder if it has gotten to big for its own good.
    Sure everyone loves a long series, but where does a person start?

Here are my recommendations:

Thrawn Trilogy:
    No matter if you have read/not read Star Wars before this trilogy by Timothy Zahn will kick start your love of Star Wars again. This is the trilogy they should of filmed after the orginals.

The Original Trilogy or the Prequel Tirlogy are also awesome jumping off points, especially for people who have not read the books before. The books include many scenes that were not filmed for various reasons (the Prequel Trilogy specifically was written by some great authors, Brooks, Stackpole, Stover).

Or start chronologically. The current chronological start is the Darth Bane books (Path of Destruction & Rule of Two). If anyone is interested in a full chronological list let me know as I have already done the homework.

I have recently finished reading The New Jedi Order and am looking forward to finally reading Legacy, as it sound interesting, I guess we'll see.

• Poll 5 votes

Star Wars - Expanded Universe

Where did you start reading the Star Wars Expanded Universe?

• Reading Dune for the Summer!

Posted by Frank Furlano, 6 years ago

I have read the classic Dune series a while ago, but I have decided to go back and re-read the series.
    But first I thought it would be fun to read all of the prequels that have been written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. (leading up to the concluding volumes of Dune, Hunters and Sandworms)
    I have read the first prequel trilogy (Butlerian Jihad etc) and it was awesome, I am currently on book 2 of the second prequel trilogy.
    Is anyone doing anything like this for the summer? or have any thoughts on Dune?

• The best of the second prequel trilogy.

• Poll 12 votes

Summer Reading

What series would you like to read/re-read this summer?

> Read more posts from: July 2008

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo