• Goth - a novel of horror

Posted by BuffyBot, 6 years ago

I was at work one day and stumbled across this book in a section that it was not supposed to be in. On my way to shelve it properly i got to reading it and became hooked, so i descided to buy it. I would have to say that i am VERY happy i did. I would have to rank this book in with my interest in I Am Legend. Not that they have anything to do with each other, but it is one of those books when done, i just sit back and go "wow, didn't expect that". Not because of something that happened in it, but because i was surprised at how much i enjoyed it.
    Anyways, the book is basically a collection of little stories. They all take place in the same town with the same characters, but they are all kind of stand alone. Each one is about a murder/killer, and i will say this, there are details. However the idea is that it is all from the viewpoint of a sociopath, so it is not really dramaically written, it is to the point and i think it works. It actually creeped me out a bit.
    I suggest that if you want a good read that is not all flashy and extreame fiction, then i suggest picking this up. I sure am glad i did.

• Kelley Armstrong Fans ... who live close to London ON

Posted by Macwolf01, 6 years ago

In Person: Kelley Armstrong
    Coles – Argyle Mall, London, Ontario
    Sunday, May 3rd – 1:30 pm

Coles – White Oaks Mall, London, Ontario
    Saturday, May 9th – 2:00 pm

Meet bestselling author Kelley Armstrong as she introduces The Awakening, Book 2 in her Darkest Powers trilgoy, which takes us deeper into a world where the supernatural intrudes on the everyday with riveting effect.

Proof of purchase required from any Chapters, Indigo or Coles location.

• Justine Musk Series

Posted by J-9, 6 years ago

(Cross Posted as Requested)

I just finished the first book in this series (Blood Angel) and I must say that I have mixed feeling about. Firstly, the back of the book does not adequately describe what the book is about. It is about the coming of an Apocalypse. A Demon, Asha, is attempting to open the dreamlines so that the world becomes one that she can rule. Asha is dark, sick and twisted and preys on the youth that need someone to look up, but often asking for strange requests in return ( i believe the popular one was a toe or finger). To stop Asha there are 3 main characters, Jess an up in coming painter who has begun to have strange dreams and wakes up with writing all over her apartment. Ramsey a young boy, who has always known that he was different and knows things about others that he shouldn't, but he is looking for direction in his life and no one to turn too until he hear Asha's music. Finally Kia a Sajae, one of the few that had survived Asha wrath before, though weaken as time has past, he hopes he is able to find the others in time in order to prevent the Apocalypse.

I like how the book had different ideas, this is not your typical paranormal book about werewolves and vampires, it is about Demons and a new species that Justine has created called Sajae, which are a mix between a vampire, witch and necromancer. The other part of the book that was interesting was the Dreamlines. They are the areas where demons, ghost spirits live and as one goes farther into the dreamlines and survives they become more powerful on Earth.

The parts in the book that i did not like was that for the first three-quaters is was pretty slow. I understand that it is a first book in a series and one does attempt to set the stage for other books to come. At parts it seemed that a topic was drawn out or a chapter could have been great, but it lacked description. Additionally, her character development was focused on what powers Jess and Ramsey would acquire, though, i'm not even 100% sure what all of them were and there was not any personal character development. It just seemed like things were happening to them but nothing really changed in the character themselves.

I am left unsure whether I would buy the second book in this series. I leave the comments open to other individuals who have read this book for they may have a different opinion.

As a Note, though I already know this is a long winded review, this book is a lot Darker than most of the other posts within this group. There really is not any romance, and like I have mentioned above Asha does have a pretty twisted mind.

• My heart could not stop racing

Posted by Lulu Austin, 6 years ago

If you do not read this book you will be missing out. My heart could not stop racing. I felt like it was going to pump right out of my chest. I loved, loved, loved this book. I don't think I've ever read better. I do wish I hadn't read the back of it before I started - not knowing some things would of made it even more intense. I recommended Twilight to my sister and she started reading it without knowing anything about it (not even that they were vampires) so she was always trying to figure out what they were right along with Bella. This is a book that not knowing what is revealed on the back will make it better. I will tell you this the book is FANTASTIC!!

I only have one regret. When I was about two thirds of the way through I was searching to see if the book was in a local bookstore for my friend and I peeked to see what the second book was about and I shouldn't have. The short description given revealed too much about how the first one ended so knowing things I should not have the last third lost a bit of its intensity.

If you decide to read it without reading the back I will let you know it is YA so it may at first come off as a horror book but it is not. It is a suspenseful romance that will leave you wanting more.

I loved this book so much I wish I could wipe it from my memory and go back and read it all again and feel the same emotions all over.

Go out and get this book right away.

• Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

My niece picked this book up from the discount table for $5 ... its great!!

The book is about a 12 year old girl who befriends an Ace Detective ... who happens to be a skeleton; he is has sharp-witted humour and he can do magic. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and would recommend it to anyone who wants a quick witty fun read. Very age appropriate for pre-teens.

• New Bookshelf

So now I finally have a place to put my books ... that didn't fit on my little bookshelf were in chapters bags; they finally have a home. I guess I need to ask for all the books I lent out back :0P

On my List to read are:
    Morganville series on my list
    Succubus Blues series on my list to buy
    And I wrote the books have been recommended to me
    I need to read 2 & 3 of Vampire Academy books

So if you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

• Maybe another one in the making?

Posted by Unknown User, 6 years ago

City of Glass

-Message Deleted-

• Help me!

Posted by Celine Paquette, 6 years ago

I want to read the House of Night series but am kind of confused where the series begins and where it ends. Could somebody tell me the order of the books? Also, is Hunted the last in the series does anyone know or is there going to be another?
    Thank you!
    Celine

> Read more posts from: March 2009 or May 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo