• It is of course just an opinion...

Posted by Annastacia Dickerson, 7 years ago

A couple of days ago a well meaning family member told me that Fantasy and Paranormal Fiction were tasty treats but not [and I quote] "real books".

He was of the opinion that these genres were not challenging enough for the mind and like series television, a good way to waste time, but not something that will teach or encourage you to think about the world around you. He also called it "escapist literature".

In order to keep the peace I smiled and accepted that it was his opinion.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHAT MOVES YOU TO PICK THESE GENRES ABOVE ALL ELSE?

• Villains.... Muwhaaa...haaaa.haaa!

*CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I LOVE a good villain in a story. You know... the kind of villain that has you saying to yourself "What is he/she going to do next?"

Below are two authors I have found to be incredibly imaginative in their characters of the morally challenged.

I just finished reading a series by Kim Harrison (Rachel Morgan Series) and I have to say that Harrison has some of the BEST villains I have read in a VERY long time.

TRENT KALAMACK: Rich, good looking and charming. He also, in the first novel, catches the protagonist sneaking around his office while she was shape-shifted into a mink... he puts her in a cage and keeps her as a desk ornament in is office for a week and then later throws her in the rat fighting pits for sport. He does it all with a smile, and has you thinking... "He's not really going to do that? He's bluffing, he's got to be bluffing."

Kim Harrison then has him reoccurring in the following novels and you think... he's not bad after all. He just might be okay... you begin to TRUST him. Then in book four, we are again reminded who he is–a bad man.

It's not just this one character, but many of the lines of moral and amoral are blurred in Ms Harrison's books. Villains have redeeming qualities and heroes are flawed in her novels and It makes for a very interesting read.

Another author that writes a great villain is Sarah Monette. She is the only author I have read where the protagonist is not just our hero, but also or villain. It has a very interesting effect on the reader–like watching a car crash–horrific by you cannot look away.

A complicated character that is equally redeeming and just down right amoral make up the tapestry that is FELIX. How someone can be charming, popular, sometimes generous and has a large capacity to love... but also be equally violent, arrogant, cruel. The fact that Felix is all this and does NOT come off as having multiple personality disorder is a testament to Sarah Monette's skill at writing.

All the characters in her book seem to have this three dimensional quality. It is what will send me running to the bookstore when her next installment is released.

GIVE US YOUR FAVORITE VILLAINS, TELL US WHY. :-)

• Yay for Faeries!

Posted by Sahara Flower, 7 years ago

Has anyone heard about The Chronicles of Faerie by O.R.Melling? They are amazing books that were written in the early 90's. A lot of people haven't heard of them, which is too bad as they are great reads.

The first books is called The Hunter's Moon. A fantasy "shimmering with magic, myth, and romance,"* now available in paperback. Gwen travels to Ireland to visit her cousin Findabhair, expecting a summer of backpacking, late nights, and the usual road trip adventures. But when Findabhair is kidnapped by the King of Faerie, Gwen must race to save her cousin before the rise of the Hunter''s Moon, when the fairies need a human sacrifice.

The second book is called The Summer King. 17 year old Laurel Blackburn has returned to Ireland where her twin sister died the previous year. Guided by entries in her sister’s diary that speak of a strange mission for a mysterious people, Laurel travels to Achill Island on the Irish west coast. As she searches for the lost Summer King of Faerie, Laurel is attacked by the Sea People and the raven-like gruagachs. Will she find the King in time to light the Midsummer fires?Will she be re-united with her sister? And what of Ian, the dark-eyed brooding young man who shadows her every move? Is he friend or foe?

The third book in the series is called The Light Bearer's Daughter. The Light-Bearer’s Daughter tells the story of eleven-year-old Dana, who is about to emigrate to Canada from Ireland with her father, despite her protests. If she leaves, how will she ever find her mother, who disappeared when she was three?

As Dana grapples with her father’s decision, she is unwittingly drawn into the world of Faerie. She encounters a mysterious young woman who calls her into the woods. There, Dana is charged with an important mission: she must carry an urgent message from the High King of Faerie to his second-in-command deep in the mountains. If she succeeds, Dana will be granted her heart’s desire - any wish will come true. But why has the High King of Faerie chosen Dana for this mission, and what does it have to do with her long-lost mother?

Finally, the last book is called The Book of Dreams, which ties all the characters together. In a landscape of Canadian myth and magic, the fairy tale continues...

Dana of The Light-Bearer’s Daughter, now thirteen, has been in Canada for two years and she still hates it. There’s no magic! Life gets even worse for the depressed teen when she finds her gateway to Faerie—her only escape from the misery of grade 9— mysteriously shattered. In a dream, her fairy mother tells her that all the portals to Faerie have been destroyed and that it’s up to Dana to find The Book of Dreams—the key or secret that will re-open the worlds. The biggest surprise to Dana is that the magical book is to be found somewhere in Canada!

Can Dana quest in her new country the way she did in Ireland? Can Gwen of The Hunter’s Moon and Laurel of The Summer King protect her from the dark forces that seek to destroy her? And how does Jean—a handsome fifteen-year-old Quebecois classmate—figure in the mysteries that are engulfing Dana and the world of Faerie?

From Cape Breton to Vancouver, from Baffin Island to southern Ontario, Dana discovers the spirits of her new land and finds that Canada is home to magic as frightening and wondrous as anything she left behind in Ireland.

This series is truely outstanding and I can't believe that a lot of people don't know about it. Next time you're in chapters, look for O.R.Melling.

• Mercedes Lackey?

Hello Brett, and welcome to our group. You have a WHOLE bookshelf dedicated to Mercedes Lackey. I have not read any of her works. What can you tell us about her?

• 1 person found this helpful

FOUND A NEW GROUP

I have found a new group that some of you may be interested in joining called:

BOOKS INTO FILM:

A place for the discussion of the adaptation of books into a film or TV series.

I think with enough members, this could be a nicely active group. The facilitator is ShyAngel.

• Witches

Posted by Cindy L, 7 years ago

I just finished reading Reisert's " The Third Witch ", and although the book is technically not about witches or the paranormal/supernatural realm, it was highly entertaining and very well written. The story is told from the point of view of one of the so called witches, from Shakespear's " MacBeth ". I don't know if I found her writing that much more engaging because she is a Playwrite, and a Director, or just the skill of her craft. It is suspense filled, the characterizations are completely engaging, and even though it wraps up a little too neatly into a happy ending, it is still a very good read. I can't really say much more with out giving away the plot, but she is more faithful to Shakespear's version than the actual historical MacBeth.

• PUT THE BOOK IN THE FREEZER?

Yes, it's in reference to an episode of FRIENDS that the character "Joey" tells "Rachel" that when he gets to the scary bits in Stephen Kings' "The Shining" he "...puts the books in the freezer."

Anyone ever read a book that made you feel SO MUCH you had to put it down (in the freezer)?

How did it make you feel; scared, sad, anxious, angry, excited?

What was the name of the book? Can you remember?

• 40 MEMBERS!

Well, that's definitely the bees, knees! Our active group has grown, I'm happy to say to 40 members! Thanks for everyone's input in keeping this list active.

Let's celebrate with a Haiku:

40, oh 40
    Members sharing, members care
    40 members, here

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

> Read more posts from: April 2008 or June 2008

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo