Comments on this post:
  • 5 years ago

Books can be optioned, which means film rights are purchased, usually for three years. Within that time, whoever has the rights can use that time to make a script and find producers. Sometimes it works, and you get a movie. Usually it never goes anywhere. Even big titles can fail if they don't get the proper backing in time. I don't know what the ratio is, but out of 1000 optioned books, less than ten get filmed. The Hobbit is sort of an anomaly, since everything was in place to shoot the film, but production halted when the Tolkien estate claimed they were owed millions from the first LOTR films. As for books vs. films and how they should be properly filmed, they are two separate art forms, and no adaptation can please every fan.

report this

• Unknown User

• Top Contributor
    • Most Interesting

5 years ago

-Message Deleted-

report this

• Mella Bella

• Coles Employee

5 years ago

I would be interested in seeing most of them. I'm usually okay if I've read the book first, so that even if the movie ends up being horrible I'm not overly crushed. I actually go in not expecting the movie to be that good so that if it is good I'm pleasantly surprised.
    I haven't gone to see My Sister's Keeper and I don't think I will but I think it's because I don't like the person playing the mother more than any stigma I have towards the movie.

report this

• Mella Bella

• Coles Employee

5 years ago

You know I saw Where the Wild Things Are today and it was really good! That means there is still hope for books made into movies :)

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: September 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo