Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • My Monday "Friday Fun"

Posted by Lady Ethereal Butterfly, 5 years ago

The World Without Us has influenced me the most of all the books I've read so far.

1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
    I’d have to say my worst reading experience was all the way back in high school. My grade 11 English teacher, who I wasn’t very fond of, got the class to read Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. I have a feeling my dislike of it was more due to my dislike of my teacher than the actual material. I didn’t want to be reading it because she wanted it read; therefore, it was “garbage” in my opinion. I think I need to re-read Metamorphosis to give it a fair chance.

2) The best reading experience you have ever had?
    There are so many good reading experiences in my past! I might have to go with reading The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy over Christmas a few years back. It seemed like a monumental undertaking at the time, but it was worth it. Looking back though, it really wasn’t that much reading, but it was to my teenage self.

3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far?
    The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It changed the way I think about the planet.

4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of?
    Nope.

5) What do you use as a bookmark?
    I use an actual bookmark. I have a mini collection of bookmarks that I use. The cute ones that have a tassel and a bead on them are best.

6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...?
    Yes to all! I’ll read in any situation that I possibly can.

7) Do you remember the first book that you read?
    No, but it was probably something cheesy. The first book that I can vividly remember reading was Interview with the Vampire, but it wasn’t the first one I read. It would have been one of the first more mature/adult fiction books I read though. This is making me nostalgic for my teen years.

8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover?
    Both have their benefits and drawbacks. I like both, but I read more paperbacks for affordability.

9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on?
    Flowers for Algernon, page 89. I missed out on reading this as a kid, so I’m reading it now.

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books?
    I try not to, but occasionally it happens.

11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book?
    Title - Sometimes a good title will catch my attention, but it doesn’t affect whether I’ll read it or not.
    Cover - It’ll make me pick it up, but the synopsis is the real decision maker
    Pages - No, not really. I like long books and short books, so I buy and read both.

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending?
    I try not to, but sometimes I can’t resist.

13) Has knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not?
    No, spoilers have no affect on if I’ll read a book. Sometimes I’ll discover books because a movie is made of them that I normally wouldn’t have found out about though.

14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times?
    No.

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...)
    I have dropped books (hardcovers) on my feet before, resulting in bruises, never anything serious.

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them?
    I keep them. I do have a tiny pile of books that I want to take to a used bookstore however.

17) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc?
    My profile on this site is my system. I have pretty much everything organized on my shelves. I also have a table in a Word document listing all the books I want to purchase sorted alphabetically by author. The document includes price and format.

Comments on this post:
  • 5 years ago

-Message Deleted-

report this

• Wendy Middleton

• Most Helpful

5 years ago

I'm with Edward on this, Lady EB. I read Kafka by choice when I was finished school, and really found his works fascinating. I loved The Trial, even though the whole thing is about frustration. By comparison Metamorphosis was short and less demanding. I haven't read Letters to Milena, so I will have to look for that one.

report this

• Lady Ethereal Butterfly

• Top List Publisher
    • Most Popular

5 years ago

I'm sure I would enjoy Kafka if I read some of his work now by choice. Forced reading generally didn't go over well with me as a teen. Even now, I like choosing what I'm in the mood for, not being forced into read something. I'll be sure to give Kafka a second chance now that it can be on my own terms.

report this

• Bookmason

• Top List Publisher

5 years ago

Reading Kafka at present, got a short story collection that includes Metamorphosis and others at University Bookstore for $3 a month or so ago. Have read first two, on Metamorphosis now. In part I'm reading it because my favourite new author, Jonathan Lethem has written a book about him and I want to have a clearer idea of his writing before I read that book and Kafka on the Shore.

report this

• Top List Publisher
    • Most Popular

5 years ago

I want to read Kafka on the Shore too! Have you read anything by Haruki Murakami before?

report this

• Bookmason

• Top List Publisher

5 years ago

No I haven't read any Murakami yet, though I now have 3 or 4 of his books in my TBR pile.

report this

• Top List Publisher
    • Most Popular

5 years ago

I hope Norwegian Wood, After Dark, and/or Sputnik Sweetheart are among the Murakami novels you have in your TBR pile. Those are the ones I've read, and I loved them to bits!

report this

• Bookmason

• Top List Publisher

5 years ago

First two and Wind Up Bird Chronicle along with Kafka on the Shore are the 4 Muakami I have, no Sputnik Sweetheart though the title alone may have it get there.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: April 2009

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo