• TWO MORE THIS MONTH

Posted by Christine L, 2 years ago

43. FIFTY SHADES OF GREY by E.L. James. Sweet, young and virginal college student Anastasia Steele is doing her sick friend a favour when she goes to interview multi-billionaire Christian Grey. As soon as she walks into his office the attraction is palpable. He is kind enough to warn her that he is “not the man for her” but this does not deter him from pursuing her to the point of stalking. You see, Christian has a secret. Instinct clouded by sheer physical attraction Ana agrees to see Christian and agrees to sign a non-disclosure agreement (what girlfriend wouldn’t?) and he quickly introduces her to his “red room of pain” explaining he likes to engage in BDSM. Ignoring her better judgement Ana listens to her “inner goddess” and decides to experiment with Christian.

This book has been getting quite a bit of hype and I understand there is a movie in the works. Personally, I don’t get it. I have no objection to erotic literature, and there is some that is very well done, but this book falls flat. In fact, as I was reading I couldn’t help but think if the author left out the “kinky” stuff it could well pass as YA. Ana is beyond annoying (she is involved with a “dominant” and keeps repeating “he is sooooo controlling” … dah!) and Christian, rather than being the erotic teacher, falls half a step short of creepy stalker dude (no amount of money and good looks could make up for his actions, even outside his red room!).

And now I am about to say something very sad. Despite the fact that this is not the best writing I have read I have an idea in my head as to where the story is going to go … I NEED to find out if I am right … so sadly am going to venture on to the second book in the series. That’s the price of my frustrated writer/inquiring minds personality.

44. UNHOLY NIGHT by Seth Grahame-Smith. Stories of the birth in Bethlehem always centre on Jesus, Mary and Joseph, however there were three other fairly significant beings there that night. Always mentioned, and then glossed over, no one really know much about the three wise men who brought gifts on the eve of baby Jesus’ birth. Seth Grahame-Smith means to remedy that with this book by telling us the story behind the wise men … at least his version of their reluctant place in biblical history.

It’s always difficult to take a story, particularly one as well known and respected as the birth of baby Jesus, and give it a different spin. Mr. Grahame-Smith does it well with this book, and does it in such a way as not to be blasphemous. Yes, there may be some outcry about the fate given to the “real wise men”, and there may be some head shaking about Joseph’s original thoughts on Mary’s pregnancy, and there may be some fall out about Mary’s liberated attitude, but let’s face it, you pick up a book like this and you have to set some things aside. I enjoy Mr. Grahame-Smith’s books because despite how outrageous his scenarios there is always that little feeling of “wow, it could have happened that way!”

Comments on this post:
  • 2 years ago

I felt exactly the same way about Fifty Shades, right down to probably reading the rest of the series - though I still haven't started the second book yet. Unholy Night is going on my TBR list

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: June 2012

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo