Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • Heavy reading come with a price....

Posted by Charity, 2 years ago

I pinched a nerve!

I am still lagging behind in my reading, but I made up some ground with this last bunch, and I read some pretty decent books, and some outstanding books too.

#34 is Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness
    The sequel to A Discovery of Witches, this story takes place in Elizabethan England as our protagonists continue in their search for the book that could reveal the secrets to the existence of demons, witches and vampires on earth. But with witches being persecuted and burnt at the stake, it is even more dangerous to develop any powers. And what role will Christopher Marlowe play? Just as awesome as the first one, I am now eagerly awaiting the final book in this trilogy.

#35 is Winter of the World by Ken Follett
    Another middle book in a trilogy, this is the second book in Folletts Century trilogy. I have always found that the greatest strength in Follett’s books is in his characters and how the reader finds themselves rooting for some characters and wishing others would just finally die. This book was no different. Set before, during and after WWII it was very easy to find villains and victims in this story, but Follett reminds us that there were more offences committed during this time than the ones we so easily recall. The only issue I had with this book was its weight (this is the sucker that pinched a nerve). If you haven’t read any of Follett’s historical pieces, you should start. You will get upset but you will also learn to be grateful for the most simple things (wartime Russia makes macaroni and cheese seem like a luxury.

#36 is The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner, illustrated by Jeremy Holmes
    This is a title for young readers with a great sense of humour. The book is similar to the Lemony Snicket titles, with a very strong “tongue in cheek” vibe. It celebrates the strength and ingenuity of children who find themselves in a difficult situation. The story is interesting, but I found the narrator’s smugness to get a little tired fairly early on. I did love the illustrations though, and it is possible that most younger readers will appreciate the sarcasm and jokes for the entire length of the book.

#37 is Drama by Raina Telgemeier
    This is another graphic novel from the author/artist who brought us the award winning Smile. Telgemeier seems to have a great sense of what happens in middle school and Drama is another example of this. Based on her own experiences, she reveals that there is often drama amongst every group in junior high. It also celebrates the hard work of children who are dedicated to what they believe in and just want everything to work out for the best. Some mature content in regards to sexual identities, but well suited in the 9-12 age group.

#38 is Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde
    Another title in the Thursday Next series (hey, you should read the Eyre Affair!). This titles sees Thursday returning to the real world to make her husband exist again, and possibly help Hamlet finally make a decision. But when a prophet, and her time-travelling father insist that Thursday will be responsible for determine the fate of the world, everything may come down to a nearly impossible croquet match. Yeah, it’s that absurd…..and that’s why you should read this series.

#39 is The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling
    Hey! It’s a new Rowling book! Who saw that coming? Anyways, imagine Harry Potter without the magic, with older kids, a lot more swearing and some adult content. Wait, that’s not entirely on point. This book is about an idyllic parish town in the English countryside and what happens when a sudden election, and some bitter teenagers lead to a community coming apart at the seams. I found this to be as well written as the Potter books (I devoured it in a few days) and I was really impressed with the detail and research Rowling put into the characters. What stunned me the most was that I felt as connected to these new characters within one book as I had felt to her most famous characters after 7 books. I hope that enough people give this title the chance it deserves because it would be an absolute pity for Rowling to feel like she is only capable of writing about young wizards. As far as I am concerned, she has proven with this title that she is a writer who does not need to be limited to a particular series, style or genre.

Well, that’s where I am currently, heading into the busy time of year with a significant amount of reading ahead of me. Fingers crossed…..and I may start counting storybooks.

Comments on this post:
  • Christine L

• Most Helpful

2 years ago

Thanks for your reviews. I also read Shadow of Night recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I heard rumours of a movie based on the books? Casual vacancy is next on my TBR pile so it was nice to hear positive things and I also have Winter of the World ... but I bought the e-book. I learned my lesson trying to cart around the first in the series. These books are door-stopper size!

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: October 2012

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo