• From The Hobbit

Posted by emerson entwistle, 4 years ago

I wasn't a fan of the book but I didn't want to read it at the time. I'll have to open it again soon...

Roads go ever ever on
    THE HOBBIT, CHAPTER 19
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Roads go ever ever on,
    Over rock and under tree,
    By caves where never sun has shone,
    By streams that never find the sea;
    Over snow by winter sown,
    And through the merry flowers of June,
    Over grass and over stone,
    And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
    Under cloud and under star,
    Yet feet that wandering have gone
    Turn at last to home afar.
    Eyes that fire and sword have seen
    And horror in the halls of stone
    Look at last on meadows green
    And trees and hills they long have known.

I thought it was really beautiful.

Comments on this post:
  • 4 years ago

Emerson. There was music written by Donald Swann for some of Tolkien's poetry, including a song cycle called The Road Goes Ever On. I've written a longer post about it at:
    http://community.indigo.ca/posts/Word-Taster/user-371287/current.html

report this

• 4 years ago

I love it :)

report this

• 4 years ago

Word Taster - Thanks for the recommendation, I loved reading what you wrote :) I had trouble finding the music by Donald Swann though.

Josefina Paz - I know, it's lovely

report this

• Samia

• Top DVD Reviewer
    • Most Helpful

4 years ago

I really like it, especially when we are told where the roads that "go ever ever on" actually go.

report this

• 4 years ago

Here: http://www.donaldswann.co.uk/pubcycles.html is a listing of the song cycles. If you click on CD there is a kids CD with two songs, and LP's has the album, but not the boxed LP set I have.... There's some information here, along with a BBC recording of the Hobbit and the songs, which is playable on WinAmp (I used Mac stuff)... Might be something here: http://www.tolkien-archives.com/audio/donald-swann.html...

The ISBN for the book of lyrics and sheet music: 978-0007136551
    The ASIN for the vinyl B000KJBLQS

And here are some non-downloadable versions of playable MP3's from the Album - goes down the list... the links in the bottom group seem to be dead, but there are live links for all the songs that will play if you click on them

report this

• 4 years ago

Also, try here, http://www.xs4all.nl/~gnieveld/tolkienpages/ ... scroll to bottom of page and click on titles in album graphics...

Or, your library might have the CD barring that.... but the book of sheet music and lyrics and the vinyl is available.

report this

• 4 years ago

I listened to Bilbo's Last Song on Youtube, the version with the intro. I wasn't really a fan, I listened to it twice. I'm a little disappointed with myself, I wanted to like it. Thanks for the recommendation though :)
    I did order the book Poems from the Hobbit, I added it to my post ^, it's more for my mum, but I am a little excited to take a peek before I give it to her.

report this

• 4 years ago

Don't beat yourself up. It's of a certain time. But Tolkien was a very accessible poet, so I'm sure you'll like his poems. And you have to remember that when I was younger, the Hobbit and LOTR was about the closest thing to Harry Potter, if you weren't into SF yet, and I didn't really start reading SF until I was 11 or 12. Judy Blume really wasn't my thing and I grew up in a house full of SF books, so when he thought I was old enough, my Dad started giving me things to read that he thought I'd like and were appropriate, so I was reading Frederick Pohl and Ursula LeGuin.. .some Anne McCaffrey... that sort of thing... Lots of Ursula LeGuin for a while. I think I sucked back almost all her books in a year, amid Foundation and Childhood's End.

report this

• 4 years ago

And I stayed up late one night and watched Slaughterhouse Five on TV, so I started reading Vonnegut when I was almost 13, though there were some things they didn't let me read for another year... Dietz actually wrote a good tween appropriate series that my senile brain can't remember the name of right now... it was good fantasy... I'll have to dig through some boxes if I can't find it online. I don't think it'd be out of print, though it might be. I'm eternally surprised at what's OOP, but I guess as new writers keep publishing, they have to stop somewhere. I think I just think of certain things as classics that unless you're a real SF fan, most people would never of heard of... I'll have to look for those books and see if I can find them.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: May 2010

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo