• The Catherine Deneuve of Brownies

Posted by Nonfiction Editor, 6 years ago

One descriptor came immediately to mind after tasting the first bite from the Baked Brownie: DEVASTATING. I repeat: DEVASTATING.

Fellow pastyphiles, I have baked and eaten many, many famous and not-so-famous but still very fine brownies. This brownie really is the one. It's the ultimate LBD (little black dress of brownies) and frankly, if Catherine Deneuve (in Belle de Jour no less) could be immortalized in a pastry, it would be this. Deliciously elegant, flawlessly chic; somehow yielding a myriad of textures and flavours, minimal yet sophisticated, crisp yet dense.

Make no mistake this is an adult brownie - bold and intense, not overly sweet, with strong hints of espresso and deep, dark rich bittersweet chocolate. The "bite" or texture of the brownie is incredibly satisfying. There's a shell or firm outer layer, which then yields to a dense, fudgy interior. Not underbaked. Not fudge. But brownie perfection.

The detailed recipe instructions, the helpful tips, the sugar quantity - all bang on. It's the first recipe I've ever made that so completely knocked it out of the park on the first go. This brownie and this recipe is absolutely spectacular. No wonder it's earned the hearts and praises of Oprah, Martha, America's Test Kitchen and the Today Show.

We are now officially in (chocolate) love with Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, owners, bakers, authors and (our) brownie soul mates. We solemnly declare them BBFs aka. best brownie friends for life.

One final note: I invested in the premium chocolate, cocoa and vanilla for this recipe, my go-to being Scharffen Berger. So the price tag for this batch of brownies is hefty ie. $20+ just for the chocoloate and cocoa, but it is soooo worth it.

Comments on this post:
  • jes

• Top Contributor

6 years ago

YUM!!!!!!

report this

• Unknown User

• Indigo Employee
    • Top Blogger

6 years ago

-Message Deleted-

report this

• Renee

• Indigo Employee

6 years ago

Gorgeous and every word true. I was one of the lucky tasters and hereby confirm that I too am in love with this brownie. If there were one left, I'd ask it to marry me.

report this

• Chris Lev

• Indigo Employee

6 years ago

wow - after reading your description/review, i was wondering if the real thing could live up to the description.
    Let me be quite clear that these brownies are definitely amongst the best i've ever had (and from the sounds of things around here - i wasn't the only one who thought so).
    I'm not sure if i'm quite ready to propose to one (Renee?!? =) but holy smokes - is that ever one good, well balanced (crispy/dense) brownie.

report this

• Melanie Fishbane

• Indigo Employee
    • Top Blogger

6 years ago

It really put me in the moment. The brownies were absolutely delicious.

report this

• Anne Lee

• Indigo Employee
    • Top Blogger

6 years ago

Ditto to everything above. LOL. But seriously, this is one fantastic brownie. Chocolate-ly without being cloyingly sweet, lovely texture, and just enough denseness to provide a really satisfying bite.

report this

• Lea

• Indigo Employee

6 years ago

Hmmmm....meeting Christian Bale or eating one of Eva's brownies....it's a toss up.

report this

• Anne Lee

• Indigo Employee
    • Top Blogger

6 years ago

Apparently my comment was lacking a certain... oomph... so therefore I inflict upon my poor, suffering colleagues the following offering:
    Impromptu Ode to the Baked Brownie
    Oh moist and succulent brownie!
    The memory of thy chocolate-y goodness
    Doth remain, everlasting,
    A moment in time:
    Perfect and radiant

(Heh. There's a reason I haven't become a Griffin Prize-nominated poetess! Blame it on the Non-Fic Editor.)

report this

• Dan W

• Indigo Employee

6 years ago

If it's even possible, these brownies tasted even better then the above photos would suggest (and the photos are VERY appetizing)! Perhaps a future in food photography is in the cards? My only regret is that I ate it way too quickly!

report this

• Nonfiction Editor

• Editor
    • Top Contributor

6 years ago

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and comments everyone! And extra brownie points to Anne for her ode to the Baked brownie! I don't think anyone who loves brownies will be able to resist this recipe or this cookbook. This is definitely my go-to recipe for brownies and I can hardly wait to try Peanut Butter Cookies with Milk Chocolate Chunks.

report this

• Launa Amey

• Indigo Employee

6 years ago

It has been DAYS, people, and I'm still thinking about these brownies. I'm considering asking Eva to marry me. (Renee, why marry the golden egg when you can marry the goose? :)
    Truly amazing brownies. From someone who has a honed appreciation for fine pastry, and cannot bake to save her life, I am ever impressed.

report this

• Cancel   

> Read more posts from: October 2008

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo