Item not added

This item is not available to order at this time.

See used copies from 00.00
  • My Gift List
  • My Wish List
  • Shopping Cart
  • An Endless Pile of Books!

Posted by bairimeng, 4 years ago

I have a terrible habit of purchasing books on a complete whim and not reading them straight away. Usually, this urge tends to kick in during summer break and winter break. This year, I'm proud to say, I haven't succumbed as much as I usually do, although I have made a few guilty book buys occasionally.

What makes these impulse purchases about ten times worse, is that they tend to be a part of a series and usually, a rather lengthy series consisting of 7 books or more. They`re also usually ongoing too! I`m sure many understand the feeling of starting up a brand new series and the excitement when it`s a fresh book with fresh new characters.

I`m weak for that feeling, I guess. And so, succumb to it rather often. The problem with this is not only the daunting list of books I now need to read that only continue to accumulate, but also the fact that reading a lengthy series without a change of scenery can really make even an excellent book drag. I begin to tire of the same writing style, the same world, the same scenery with the same protagonist. And before I know it, I tire of the book entirely and rarely pick it back up to finish. Perhaps that also impairs my view on how good the book is compared to how bored I begin to feel with it.

That is the real problem. However, if I don`t continue the series and leave it for a while as I read something else, by the time I get back to it, I`ve forgotten more than half of the events that occurred!

Here are my latest impulse purchases; all of which are indeed, series starters:

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
    The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Staked by J.F. Lewis
    Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

Who ever thought reading books would need structure and a schedule?

Comments on this post:

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo