• Some Great Books

By Peter Sobotkiewich

7 years ago

Book lovers. Hardcovers will last last hundreds of years because they are printed on acid free paper. Softcovers will turn yellow and brittle much faster than you will, let alone your children.

1. 1
      • Add to Wish List

The Glass Bead Game  

Hesse Hermann , Hardcover

Peter Smith Publisher, Incorporated

List Price: $38.95

Member Price: $37.00

Sold Out

High road or low road. An ascetic intellectual life or an earthy voluptuous indulgent one. Hard to do both but hey, give it a try.

2. 2
      • Add to Wish List

The existentialist question, why bother? Well bothering or not bothering are both choices so get off your couch or lounge on it as you please.

3. 3
      • Add to Wish List

Wit and counter wit. A wickedly satirical journey through the lives of big and small after the Great War to end them all...(and before the not so great war).

4. 4
      • Add to Wish List

Animal Farm  

George Orwell , Hardcover

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group

List Price: $22.00

Member Price: $20.90

Unavailable

What is it about pigs? Well try bringing a bucket of slop into their pen and it will all become perfectly clear. A metaphor for pigs in suits.

5. 5
      • Add to Wish List

What happens when you don't give a damn. You die. Kind of a parody of the French in WWII unless you were in the resistance, serving overcooked sauces.

6. 6
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Lord Of The Flies  

William Golding , Hardcover

Rebound by Sagebrush

List Price: $21.95 You Save: $5.27 (24%)

Online Price: $16.68

Member Price: $15.85

In stock

It is a pretty good idea for mothers and fathers to spend time with their children. Read the book to discover their fate if you don't.

7. 7
      • Add to Wish List

A Scanner Darkly  

Philip K. Dick , Hardcover

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group

List Price: $31.95

Member Price: $30.35

Out of stock – on re-order

Hot in Hollywood, but hard to find his books. It's because you cannot use his last name online. His imagination is exceptional. This one is especially bent.

8. 8
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas And Other American Stories  

Hunter S. Thompson , Hardcover

Random House Publishing Group

List Price: $24.00 You Save: $5.76 (24%)

Online Price: $18.24

Member Price: $17.33

In stock

Better than being there. This man could smite the mighty with his barbed pen. Use his style as a template when contacting customer service anywhere.

9. 9
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Little Tales Of Misogyny  

Patricia Highsmith , Trade Paperback

Norton

List Price: $16.00 You Save: $3.84 (24%)

Online Price: $12.16

Member Price: $11.55

In stock

For guys whose wives have left them and they don't know why. Memorize and then eat the paperback.

10. 10
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Unbearable Lightness Of Being: Twentieth Anniversary Edition  

Milan Kundera , Hardcover

HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS

List Price: $29.99 You Save: $10.20 (34%)

Online Price: $19.79

Member Price: $18.80

In stock

A story of love versus erotic adventure. Take a librarian out to dinner. They always have something intelligent to say.

Comments on this list:
    • 7 years ago

Excellent choices.

Point Counter Point: All Huxley's early books are very intelligent and witty. I always considered Point Counter Point Huxley's best, but never was aware of anyone else I knew who also liked it. If I recall correctly Spandrell (was that his name) was very fond of a piece of music by Beethoven, which was part of a larger piece of music, a symphony I believe, which one I could never figure out.

Phillip K. *ick: "Try confessions of a Crap Artist" if you have not already read, also very good.

Animal Farm: When I was young we studied this in school-a sure turn off. We were told then it was about communism. As the years pass I have enjoyed the book more and more as I realized it was very much about capitalism too.

report this

• Cancel   

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo