• 1 person found this helpful

My Favorite Books Read In 2008

By emerson entwistle

6 years ago

I read a total of 71 books in 2008 and I wanted to share some of my favorites. Most were discovered this year, some are favorites that I revisited, some I discovered on one of my many trips to the library. I liked most of them, but these I loved.

1. 1
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide  

Peter Allison

List Price: $21.50 You Save: $4.18 (19%)

Online Price: $17.32

Member Price: $16.45

In stock

I've always wanted to go to Africa, this book made me want to go more. It was funny and well told and the fact that the stories are true makes this book even more impossible to put down (I read it in a night). I think I will always remember the honey badger as well as the German tourists. There are also a few pictures which are just stunning as well.

2. 2
      • Add to Wish List

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier  

Ishmael Beah

List Price: $14.00

Member Price: $13.30

Unavailable

This book hit me. It was a powerful, moving and impenetrable story of living, even when he felt he couldn't. This man's courage had me close to tears, but I never cried, you can't cry because you've been shaken too hard.

3. 3
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: and Other Stories  

Tim Burton

List Price: $24.99 You Save: $5.27 (21%)

Online Price: $19.72

Member Price: $18.73

In stock

I loved these poems. I loved how they were so gruesome and funny. The pictures were also very gruesome and twisted. This book made my brother want to read, which is a feat in itself. This book reminded me of why I loved poetry, it can surprise you.

4. 4
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

I don't know what I love about this book, it is hard to explain, all I know is that I loved it the first time I read it and I loved reading it again. I wish this book was more well known, it deserves to be read.

5. 5
      • Add to Wish List

The Sound of Water: Haiku by Basho, Buson, Issa, and Other Poets  

List Price: $12.95

Member Price: $12.30

Unavailable

My first haiku experience. I loved how not all the poems where about Zen-ness, some of them were crude, like pee in the snow or horse turds. Some of them made me think and some made me laugh. It is a great book that I will read many times.

6. 6
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales  

Stephen King

List Price: $10.99 You Save: $0.01 (%)

Online Price: $10.98

Member Price: $10.43

In stock

My first Stephen King experience. He really is a great storyteller. Some of the stories started a bit slow (Sisters of Eluria) but they soon caught my attention and I was always sad to see the last words about a character, but then I would turn the page and a new character would grab me and refuse to let go. I also liked how Stephen King wrote a little something about what the story meant to him and what inspired him to write it.

7. 7
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Beauty Of The Beasts: Tales of Hollywood's Wild Animal Stars  

Ralph Helfer

List Price: $17.99 You Save: $0.90 (5%)

Online Price: $17.09

Member Price: $16.24

In stock

A great book about animals and the love for animals. Although the words "affection training" were used to the point of utter frustration the stories were remarkable, sad and true. A read for any animal lover.

8. 8
      • Add to Wish List

Lord of the Flies  

William Golding

List Price: $9.99

Member Price: $9.49

Unavailable

A powerful and tremendous book. I had to read it in my English 11 summer school class. I had wanted to read it for a while but being easily grossed out the bloody pig head on the cover creeped me out. Despite the gross cover this book is great and should be read by everyone. It shows so much about civilisation and how it can crumble with the simplest of mistakes.

9. 9
      • Add to Wish List

Monkey Portraits  

Jill Greenberg

List Price: $19.99

Member Price: $18.99

Unavailable

This isn't really a novel but I did love it. I loved all the pictures and all the expressions. My favorites were the orangutans. The human-ness captured in these photos will astound you.

10. 10
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Why Do Men Have Nipples?: Hundreds Of Questions You'd Only Ask A Doctor After Your Third Martini  

Mark Leyner

List Price: $17.99 You Save: $3.26 (18%)

Online Price: $14.73

Member Price: $13.99

In stock

It was funny. It was full of interesting information. And now I know why men have nipples...!

• Cancel   

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo