• My top 10 - in no particular order

By Patrick Stirrup

7 years ago

Okay, there's more than 10 books here but you probably get a general idea of my type of reading material. The Chronicles of Narnia or The Hobbit are great books into classic fiction novels.

1. 1
      • Add to Wish List

The Dark Elf Trilogy: Colector' Edition  

R.a. Salvatore

List Price: $25.95

Member Price: $24.65

Unavailable

Not Salvatore's first Drizzt trilogy but this series made me fall in love with the character of Drizzt and his history. I personally recommend reading the Crystal Shard trilogy first, but I think I go against the popular view on that.

2. 2
      • Add to Wish List

Hobbit  

J.R.R. Tolkien

List Price: $43.43

Member Price: $41.26

Unavailable

Are you kidding me? If I put a true order to any of this, this would be #1 hands down.

3. 3
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Lord Of The Rings  

J. R. R. Tolkien

List Price: $133.50 You Save: $7.03 (5%)

Online Price: $126.47

Member Price: $120.15

In stock

Truly amazing work that prompted me to learn more about real world mythology. The ability to carry on so many side-stories while telling one tale is simply fantastic.

4. 4
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Dune  

Frank Herbert

List Price: $12.50 You Save: $0.66 (5%)

Online Price: $11.84

Member Price: $11.25

In stock

The beginning of a great epic series. The far reaching vision of Frank Herbert left me dumbfounded when I was reading the later books.

5. 5
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Eye of the World: Book One of 'The Wheel of Time'  

Robert Jordan

List Price: $9.99

Member Price: $9.49

In stock

Another great series of books that I started reading late 2007. I look forward to the final instalment despite the fact the Robert Jordan isn't the one who'll get to finish his legacy.

6. 6
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Chronicles Of Narnia (Adult)  

C. S. Lewis

List Price: $26.99 You Save: $5.70 (21%)

Online Price: $21.29

Member Price: $20.23

In stock

The first "adult" fantasy novels I ever read (and I can't even remember if I read them all). I re-read the series before the first movie hit the big screens (still haven't seen the movies).

7. 7
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Demon Awakens  

R.a. Salvatore

List Price: $10.99 You Save: $0.01 (%)

Online Price: $10.98

Member Price: $10.43

In stock

I love Salvatore's writing and the world he creates here is enjoyable for fantasy readers.

8. 8
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Art of War  

Sun Tzu

List Price: $6.95 You Save: $0.24 (3%)

Online Price: $6.71

Member Price: $6.37

In stock

The only standout of my list because it's not fiction. It's still a great read.

9. 9
      • Add to Wish List

Harry Potter Box Set, Books 1-7, Children's Cloth  

J. K. Rowling

List Price: $223.85

Member Price: $212.66

Unavailable

I didn't start reading these until the fourth book was published, then succumbed to the hype. I'm very glad I did. A great series for nearly all ages.

10. 10
      • Add to Wish List

Star Wars Trilogy  

George Lucas

List Price: $10.99

Member Price: $10.44

Unavailable

The novelizations of what are probably my all-time favourite movies. The books are good, but can't compare to the films. What they are however, are the beginnings into what is now a HUGE expanded universe. That's saying something.

Comments on this list:
    • 7 years ago

I like the addition of Sun Tzu to the list of "fantastic" books.

report this

• 7 years ago

It is quite an interesting read. About the farthest thing from my normal choice of books, but I always wanted to read it so when I was short on reading material I picked it up!

report this

• 7 years ago

Your favourite fantasy novels greatly match my own (check my list if you'd like). I also plan on reading Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War' very shortly. May I suggest 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms' for further reading of phenomenal oriental literature (its China's oldest novel). As for fantasy, Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman's Death Gate Cycle and any novel by Guy Gavriel Kay. As for fantasy classics, try 'The Once and Future King' by T.H. White. I'm open to further suggestions as well.
      ~ Happy Reading my friend ~

report this

• Cancel   

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo