My Favourite Books to Give to Kids

By Wendy Middleton

6 years ago

Some of these books I enjoyed myself when I was young, and others I have found later. All of them are books that I have shared with my young friends.

1. 1
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

D'aulaires Book Of Greek Myths  

Ingri D'aulaire , Hardcover

Random House Children's Books

List Price: $42.95 You Save: $14.61 (34%)

Online Price: $28.34

Member Price: $26.92

In stock

This was my all-time favourite book when I was young. I used to borrow it from the public library. Finally I bought myself a copy when I was in my twenties and then started giving it to friends' children. The illustrations are very compelling and the stories are well told.

2. 2
      • Add to Wish List

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone  

J.K. Rowling , Hardcover

Raincoast Books

List Price: $19.95

Member Price: $18.95

Unavailable

I first became interested in the entire Harry Potter series about the time that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was released, and I was looking for a gift for a friend's daughter. Her mother told me that she had started this first book already in October and when I suggested that I buy her Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, her mother suggest that I buy the newest one because she was sure that her daughter would have read the second in the series before Christmas. I don't like to give kids books that I know nothing about, so I started to read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I didn't get too far when I realized that I wanted to go back to the beginning to read the whole series.

3. 3
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

To Kill a Mockingbird: The Timeless Classic Of Growing Up And The Human Dignity  

Harper Lee , Mass Market Paperbound

Grand Central Publishing

List Price: $9.99

Member Price: $9.49

In stock

I read this book in Grade 9, and there were very few years in my teaching career when I didn't teach it. I think that it is one of the best books ever written to get kids talking about the effects of prejudice and looking at the history of segregation. This is just a beautiful story about growing up that kids can relate to in all kinds of ways. It is also a wonderful book to re-read no matter how many times you have read it in the past.

4. 4
      • Add to Wish List

Jacob Two-two Meets The Hooded Fang  

Mordecai Richler , Trade Paperback

Tundra

List Price: $7.99

Member Price: $7.59

Unavailable

I didn't read this book when I was young, but I have taken it as a gift when I have been travelling outside of Canada. All the kids who have received this book seemed to love it as much as I do. It is a great gift for younger siblings about 6 or 7 because they identify with Jacob's situation. I love Richler's books for adults, particularly Barney's Story, so I love to get youngsters reading his work early in their lives.

5. 5
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Paddle-to-the-Sea  

Holling C. Holling , Trade Paperback

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

List Price: $14.95 You Save: $3.59 (24%)

Online Price: $11.36

Member Price: $10.79

In stock

I loved this book when I was a kid., perhaps because I lived near the lower Great Lakes and had been to the St. Lawrence Seaway, I enjoyed following the canoe in my part of Ontario. I especially loved the part when it went over Niagara Falls. Again I have given this book to kids inside and out of Canada. I think it gives them a great sense of the geography of Eastern Canada. A few aspects seem dated now, but none of the kids has complained.

6. 6
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Make Way for Ducklings  

Robert Mccloskey , Picture Books

Puffin

List Price: $9.50

Member Price: $9.03

In stock

Captain Kangaroo used to read this book on his programme, and that is where I first heard the story. I loved the happy ending where the duck family finds a place to live. Again some details are dated, but I recently gave this book to my great niece, so a good story can speak to different generations.

7. 7
      • Add to Wish List

Silverwing Saga Box Set  

Kenneth Oppel , Trade Paperback

Harpercollins Children's Books

List Price: $44.85

Member Price: $42.61

Sold Out

Again this is a great series for kids that I found only because I was looking for gifts for friends' children. The story is told from the point-of-view of a bat and kids seem to love this series. I sent this set to two boys in Australia and they can't wait for me to send them the fourth book in the series.

8. 8
      • Add to Wish List

Hobbit (Essential Modern Classics Edition)  

JRR Tolkien , Trade Paperback

List Price: $9.99

Member Price: $9.49

Unavailable

I first read this book on my own when I was in Grade 9 and loved it. I still like it better than the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Hobbit is such a wonderful book because it can be read and enjoyed by people of different ages, so parents and kids can enjoy the story together.

9. 9
      • Add to Wish List

Guests Of War Trilogy  

Kit Pearson , Mass Market Paperbound

Penguin Group Canada

List Price: $19.00

Member Price: $18.05

Unavailable

One of my Grade 12 students first told me of this series because it had been her favourite in elementary school. I have given it to both boys and girls with equal success. It is great because it shows the effects of WWII on children with both English and Canadian settings, and I have given these books as gifts for kids in both countries. I also like to give Pearson's book Awake and Dreaming. It too has been well received by both girls and boys.

10. 10
      • Add to Wish List

Alligator Pie  

Dennis Lee , Board Book

Key Porter Books

List Price: $9.95

Member Price: $9.45

Unavailable

This is another book that can be given to kids of different ages from babies to early readers. All the kids I have given it to love the nonsense of this compelling rhyme. Again it is one that I have given as gifts in other countries because it is another great example of Canadian literature for kids.

• Cancel   

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo