• 2 people found this helpful

Top Ten Literacy Resources

By Ms Fox

7 years ago

Having read so many comprehensive literacy resources, here is my best of the best!

1. 1
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need To Teach Reading Well  

Regie Routman

List Price: $44.65 You Save: $0.01 (%)

Online Price: $44.64

Member Price: $42.41

In stock

Tired of spending hours planning the reading component of your comprehensive literacy block? Regie Routman breaks it down into manageable pieces so you can have a life outside of teaching too! Not only that, her easy to read strategies increase student engagement and standardized test scores. The best features of this text include an easy to follow and informative reading conference plan and a look in on a couple of guided reading sessions. Teaching Essentials is her most recent book and is an excellent companion to Reading Essentials.

2. 2
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations And Results While Simplifying Teaching (with Dvd)  

Regie Routman

List Price: $57.35 You Save: $0.75 (1%)

Online Price: $56.60

Member Price: $53.77

In stock

Writing Essentials is not just about writing - Routman also shows how to always link reading and writing together. Again she simplifies how and what to teach but manages to keep student engagement and achievement high. How? Real life or authentic writing! I have successfully implemented her ideas with many kinds of learners at different levels and they have all been successful! She always goes back to the gradual release. I learned to apply more shared writing (and use it for shared reading!). Her accompanying DVD was also very informative.

3. 3
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Teaching with Intention: Defining beliefs, aligning practice, taking action  

Debbie Miller

List Price: $37.95 You Save: $6.63 (17%)

Online Price: $31.32

Member Price: $29.75

In stock

I wasn't sure how Debbie Miller would outshine her Reading with Meaning but these two texts really go together! She asks her readers to question their beliefs about teaching and learning and helps you align your practice to those beliefs. In addition, she provides some "tried and true" lesson plans - I have tried the schema lesson and it worked wonders! This is a great text for the preservice to the veteran teacher - an invigorating read! This would be an excellent book club book for a group of teachers.

4. 4
      • Add to Wish List

Practice with Purpose: Literacy work stations for grades 3-6  

Debbie Diller

List Price: $39.95 You Save: $7.58 (19%)

Online Price: $32.37

Member Price: $30.75

Sold Out

Having negatve experiences with implementing centers before, I was not keen on trying them again (busy work, not productive, classroom management issue, too much planning or marking in comparison to learning, lower level)... Sound familiar? If you're ready to give centers a go again, pick up Debbie Diller's Practice with Purpose before you begin. Her comprehensive guide has solved my previous issues. The Literacy Work Stations in my class are now successful and key to the gradual release of responsibility model (independent practice). I loved the photos and ideas from real classrooms and her suggestions on how to keep stations fresh, prevent problems, and involve students in the creation of stations!

5. 5
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Conversations: Strategies For Teaching,<txb2/>learning, And Evaluating  

Regie Routman

List Price: $99.71 You Save: $0.02 (%)

Online Price: $99.69

Member Price: $94.71

In stock

This was my first introduction to Regie Routman. After Conversations, I ordered all of her texts. Conversations was published in 1999 and was still innovative when I took my Reading AQ course in 2005. It covers the comprehensive literacy program with detail. For experienced teachers I would recommend Reading and Writing Essentials but for newer teachers this is an excellent guide to help get your literacy block started. The best feature is the last third of the book, Regie's "Blue Pages." These are grade appropriate core texts (with reviews) as well as teacher resources mentioned in her chapters.

6. 6
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for all  

Debbie Diller

List Price: $39.95 You Save: $7.58 (19%)

Online Price: $32.37

Member Price: $30.75

In stock

Having struggled in the past with "making the most of small groups" and differentiation, Debbie Diller again has informed my instruction. The best part of the text is a series of charts towards the back of the text that tells you "If the student has difficulty with (insert reading skill here), then try these number of strategies."

7. 7
      • Add to Wish List

Reading with Meaning: Reaching comprehension in the primary grades  

Debbie Miller

List Price: $39.95

Member Price: $37.95

Unavailable

What makes Debbie Miller's books so special is her voice! It sounds like you are sitting down and conversing reading comprehension strategies over a cup of tea! She shares experiences and learning from her grade one classroom. Out of all of the reading comprehension strategy books I have read, Debbie Miller is the best. She offers many titles to choose from for each strategy. I always keep it on my desk and refer back to it all the time. The best feature of the text is the real photos of anchor charts, classroom set-up, and student-made graphic organizers.

8. 8
      • Add to Wish List

Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read And Write  

Patricia M. Cunningham

List Price: $42.75

Member Price: $40.61

Unavailable

Classrooms That Work has informed my instruction in many different ways. Cunningham and Allington focus on current literacy research to help you create an engaging environment. Although the text is better suited for K-2 teachers, junior teachers would find many different ideas for content areas. One of the best features of the text is the lists that describe the most effective classrooms. One of the most important factors is increasing the time and amount students read and write independently.

9. 9
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension For Understanding And Engagement  

Stephanie Harvey

List Price: $53.50 You Save: $9.85 (18%)

Online Price: $43.65

Member Price: $41.47

In stock

Strategies that Work is better for junior teachers (whereas Debbie Miller's Reading with meaning would be well suited to primary teachers). The updated version includes more examples. What I liked best was the suggestion of using real life short texts for reading. There are a number of tried and true lessons as well as a guide to resources.

10. 10
      • Add to Wish List

The Daily 5: Fostering literacy independence in the elementary grades  

Gail Boushey

List Price: $33.50 You Save: $1.76 (5%)

Online Price: $31.74

Member Price: $30.15

Unavailable

The Daily 5 is a quick read and shows how to maximize student's independent practice and time you have (guided) in small group instruction. Realistically I do not have the same amount of time in my literacy block to fully implement the Daily 5. That said, at the beginning of the year, I used all of the "Independence Charts." Even if you don't have the same amount of time to implement the Daily 5, it's a quick read with lots of ideas to take away no matter how you structure your literacy block. The Daily 5 is based on reading to self, reading with a buddy, listening to a book, writing, and word work.

• Cancel   

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo