Books everyone should read before they die

By Corey Pretty

4 years ago

The most thought-provoking, sentimental, poetic, or just -plain fun novels I've ever read.

1. 1
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Perks of Being a Wallflower  

Stephen Chbosky , Trade Paperback

Mtv Books

List Price: $15.50 You Save: $3.72 (24%)

Online Price: $11.78

Member Price: $11.19

In stock

Short, but pleasantly surprising, This journal-type story is heartbreaking and beautiful, and is of much more realistic writing that the faux-diary "Go Ask Alice". This novel tries neither to persuade nor to condescend, but just to tell a wonderfully stitched together story. Marvellous in its simplicity.

2. 2
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Pride and Prejudice  

Jane Austen , Hardcover

Oxford University Press

List Price: $12.95 You Save: $0.65 (5%)

Online Price: $12.30

Member Price: $11.69

In stock

Though written from an unreliable point of view, (Lizzy is often quite proud and harsh in her observations) Jane Austen's brilliance shines through, and by the end, I was wishing that I could erase it from my memory just to have an escuse to start it over again right away.

3. 3
      • Add to Wish List

Fahrenheit 451  

Ray Bradbury , Mass Market Paperbound

Random House Publishing Group

List Price: $7.99

Member Price: $7.59

Unavailable

Eerily similar to the world we live in today, Ray Bradbury's dystopian society of fast pace and of little emotion and opinion is comprised of equal parts frightening reality and morbid fantasy, creating a world of astounding laws and horrific government, where people aren't as happy as they think they are when they're perched in front of their tvs.

4. 4
      • Add to Wish List

Picture Of Dorian Gray  

Oscar Wilde , Trade Paperback

One World Classics -- Bloomsbury UK

List Price: $15.00

Member Price: $14.25

Sold Out

Though short, and in my humble opinion, lacking some action (I was mildly surprised to find most of Dorian's decent into darkness was merely implied), "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" is one of the best books ever written. Entertaining while also being a comment on vanity, it is a haunting must-read.

5. 5
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

The Hobbit  

J.R.R. Tolkien , Mass Market Paperbound

Harpercollins (uk)

List Price: $10.99 You Save: $0.55 (5%)

Online Price: $10.44

Member Price: $9.92

Usually ships in 1 - 2 weeks

Although not technically considered a part of "Lord Of The Rings", I deeply consider it to be the first novel, and insist that to fully understand and enjoy the trilogy, you must first read "The Hobbit". It is a beautiful and epic tale of Bilbo Baggins' unwitting adventure, for which he is thrust into danger and excitement without ever have really wanted to leave his comfy house and his many many sqaure meals a day. A delightful accidental-hero, Bilbo grows to be a great asset to the others on this fateful journey. My one complaint is that we see things from his point of view, and he passes out right as the battle is getting the most exciting, and it's all simply recapped to him - and thus, us - later.

6. 6
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Animal Farm  

George Orwell , Trade Paperback

Penguin UK (PB)

List Price: $10.99 You Save: $0.55 (5%)

Online Price: $10.44

Member Price: $9.92

In stock

An obvious satire about the ruling of a dictator, this novel is short but remarkably touching. Though it takes place through the point of view of animals, that neither distracts from the telling of the story nor ditracts from its point. The animals rebel against the mean ol' farmer under the leadership of Napoleon the pig, only to find their way of life slowly declining into a horrendous servanity again. Napoloeon rules with an iron fist through manipulation, punsihment and lies, and soon the animals can't tell pig from person. A truly wonderful satire, well worth the read.

7. 7
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Night  

Elie Wiesel , Hardcover

List Price: $24.00 You Save: $5.76 (24%)

Online Price: $18.24

Member Price: $17.33

In stock

Tragic and tormenting, this cynical recounting (and who could blame him?!) of life in a concentration camp is eye-opening and filled to the brim with exquisite pain.

8. 8
      • Add to Shopping Bag
      • Add to Wish List

Son Of A Witch: Volume Two in The Wicked Years  

Gregory Maguire , Mass Market Paperbound

HARPERCOLLINS PUBLISHERS

List Price: $8.99

Member Price: $8.54

In stock

Son Of A Witch is, in my opinion, a fantastic tale that outshines even its predecessor. While filled with undertones that some less open-minded people may not approve of, it is still a tale worthy of Oz, though a darker, more foreboding Oz than fans of L. Frank Baum's stories would remember. Liir, Elphaba's son, is on a dangerous quest to find his half sister, Nor, and rescue her from being a political prisoner at the hands of the evil Wizard of Oz. Filled with pain, confusion, unrequieted love, and many surprises, "Son Of A Witch" is a great fantasy novel.

• Cancel   

Close

< close and return to chapters.indigo.ca
kobo
  • Take your library with you wherever you go
  • Use the device you want to use… smartphone, desktop and many of today’s most popular eReaders
  • Coming soon… use Indigo gift cards to buy eBooks and subscriptions!

WHY KOBO?

We love the Kobo eReading service… and we know you will too. We’ve partnered with them to bring you the most flexible, enjoyable eReading experience in Canada.

SHOPPING ON KOBO

You’ll be asked to sign in or create a new account with Kobo. Once you do, you’ll immediately get access to millions of titles and be ready to start eReading. Anytime. Anyplace.

continue to kobo